cheap a/c 'ice chest" make..??

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by landon6062, Jun 24, 2018.

1. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Just got to share my excitement.. (I did put this in another thread, but it isn't showing up?)

a BIT of GOOD NEWS FOR ME!!! I wanted to share. [Guitar]

GOT my GIZMOS in today.. *though they forgot to include the TALL person in the box.. LOL

I am VERY PLEASED with the GIZMOS..

It is very light weight, easy to move around.

right at 1 pm it was 82 outside, feels like 96. and it was 108 in the PUP. no a/c on.

I turned on the A/C, put up my GIZMOS, "I already had the reflextix in the windows"

It is now almost 3pm. and the tempt outside is 81, feels like 92 (heat index went down by 4 degrees

IN the PUP.. an AWESOME " 76 ".. now that is comfortable..

I just can not believe those GIZMOS made that much of a difference.. WOW
    I amblown away..

GREAT NEWS. I think I get to camp very soon!!!!

jnc, Orchid, WVhillbilly and 3 others like this.
  2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Good to hear you got them and they work as promised. I find it easier to install Gizmos of reflective tarps before you pull the bunks out. When raising the roof raise it about a foot and attach them under lip of roofs edge (velcro) then raise the roof all the way up. Good luck to you . You saved $$ on the portable AC.

I am sure you already know all this.............enjoy you cool camper now!

3. chadster

chadster Member

Which Gizmo model did you go with? I think you just sold me.

landon6062 likes this.
  4. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI JPBar...

quote: I find it easier to install Gizmos of reflective tarps before you pull the bunks out. When raising the roof raise it about a foot and attach them under lip of roofs edge (velcro) then raise the roof all the way up. Good luck to you . You saved $$ on the portable AC.

I was hoping that I could put them on before raising the roof.. thanks..

geeze that was not easy. A tall ladder would have been a MUST...

Yes, pretty excited.. BUT.. the TRUE TEST will be when it gets over 100 here with the Heat index.

5. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI Chad... I will be glad to tell you...

Honestly. They really don't look like more than one of the "reflective tarps" with "clips" a good supply of clips,

The FITTING is good.. We paid 112. 00 for the THREE.. "2 bunks and Dinette covers".. we did "not" get the HIGH WIND selection.

I REALLY would like to put them to the test..

We Normally have over "100 degree" summer weather.. with the HEAT index. It was miserable in the PUP..

Today was a bit MILD.. 82, with 96 heat index.. and an overcast.. SO that might not have been the best test. BUT I can tell they are going to make a difference.. THAT PUP has yet to be under 90 degrees with the A/C on...

I bet they would be good in the COLD as well, but I most likely want have to experience that much...

I will get you another picture. so you can see :)

This is the one straight out of the package: 20180627_122126.jpg

We got ours from "POPUPGIZMOS"....Ordered friday and they came in the next wednesday.

Here is one picture of what they look like out of the box..

chadster likes this.
  6. chadster

chadster Member

Thanks for the info. I am thinking about going with middle one. Since it can get pretty windy out here. We don't have an AC unit installed and usually camp in the mountains but have still dealt with 85 degrees outside, thankfully some strategically placed fans have kept the PUP cool. But I am also not dealing with SC heat and humidity!

landon6062 likes this.
  7. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Pictures.. Hopefully you can see them..

My PUP is sitting out in the direct SUN, but that is where my 30 amp box it..

The Awning is in the shop, so this really is a test that most PUPS wouldn't be under.. LOL

AS you may be able to see.. It is very thin and very LIGHT weight., not much more than a REFLECTIVE TARP.. I really don't know why one just couldn't just use a reflective tarp... sorry I didn't mean to hit that picture 3 times and I don't know how to get rid of it.. lol

t 20180627_153748.jpg 20180627_153720.jpg 20180627_153720.jpg 20180627_153720.jpg use a reflective tarp?

20180627_153748.jpg

8. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Sorry so many PICTURES.. geeze.. my computer was Lagging I THOUGHT..

9. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I was thinking UTAH.. not that hot?.. but You do get some COLD weather right?

I will bring an update as soon as we get those 100 degree days back.. "COULD be tomorrow.. lol"

We are also making a "cooler/ac" to help us with the heat, but waiting on the parts for that..

I will be sharing that soon too..

HOPE that HELPS : )

10. chadster

chadster Member

Oh in Utah we definitely get hot! Hitting 100 today. But we don't have the humidity. And we camp in the mountains. So usually a 20 degree difference from home and there. All our trips this year we have ran the heater at night and swam during the day to keep cool.

I thought there was more to the gizmos than that. I guess the cost is they are already sized and all the clips/bungee. decisions decisions

11. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I may be WRONG, but I really don't see the difference in this and a "reflective tarp".and some clips...

. I know Wal-Mart has them to order online..

But you will have to decide.. "my loss, your gain".. good to help someone. Either way.. I am glad I got them.. Thinking of having to delay my trips to the fall was a bit discouraging..

OH and don't forget the "REFLEXTIX" in the bunk windows.. that does help too.. : ) (you can get the ROLL at lowes)

12. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

OH and You are welcome.. : )

But honestly without some of the generous people here, I would have never known about these TIPS..

GOOD to be here..!!!

13. chadster

chadster Member

This is truly a great site! Helped me get out camping sooner than I expected.

I already have the reflectix has helped on those cold nights too. I will need to get some measurements and see if buying reflective tarp and clips is cheaper than the gizmos. Thanks for the info!

landon6062 likes this.
  14. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

Did you try it with the AC On and no gizmos to see what it got down to?

landon6062 likes this.
  15. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

I already have the reflectix has helped on those cold nights too. I will need to get some measurements and see if buying reflective tarp and clips is cheaper than the gizmos. Thanks for the info![/QUOTE]

Just my opinion , 1 tarp covers the full size bed canvas on my camper 60 X 80 bunk 95%, the king size bunk is 70 X 80 bought a third tarp and added about 24 inches of it to the existing tarp and now it covers the entire king bed canvas. I used 4 snaps to connect the two tarps together and binder clips to attach the tarps to the canvas. Cost was a big factor to not the getting the Gizmos. Think I got $70 invested and they are going on two years and they still look new. But if you want them to fit just right for your camper than get the Gizmos.

landon6062 likes this.
  16. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI Shaxs..

quote; Did you try it with the AC On and no gizmos to see what it got down to?

I did NOT today... that is a good question, and wondering if I really gave it a TRUE TEST...

The pup was at 108, and I just put the GIZMOS on and turned on the a/c for 2 hours..

I was very glad to see it get to 76... at least that was very Comfortable

I have been trying to use the AC in 90-100 degree weather .. with heat index adding anywhere from 10 to 15 degrees to that.

It has never been able to get the tempt down somewhere between 92- 95 or so..

I am HOPING to get a chance to give it a "TRUE" test very soon, maybe even tomorrow..

How they help during those 105-110 degrees, I really don't know..

I give a report as soon as I can to let you know, what happens.. : )

17. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Just my opinion , 1 tarp covers the full size bed canvas on my camper 60 X 80 bunk 95%, the king size bunk is 70 X 80 bought a third tarp and added about 24 inches of it to the existing tarp and now it covers the entire king bed canvas. I used 4 snaps to connect the two tarps together and binder clips to attach the tarps to the canvas. Cost was a big factor to not the getting the Gizmos. Think I got $70 invested and they are going on two years and they still look new. But if you want them to fit just right for your camper than get the Gizmos.[/QUOTE]

Your Opinion counts in my book : )..

I think a tarp would do the same thing..

Thanks for ALL your helps JPBAR...

I was VERY glad to feel the REFRESHING AIR from the A/C for the FIRST TIME since I got my PUP..

JPBar likes this.
  18. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Hey Chad.. stay in touch with the thread. as soon as we get our Ice chest/ AC made.. I would like to share the design with you.

My husband has taking over that project and I am confident that what he is making is going to work for all of us PUP people, that need a little extra COOLING in our Pups. : ) (he works for a Nuclear power plant)

I can't IMAGE not having A/C in your pup at 100 degree temperatures.. whoa..

chadster likes this.
  19. chadster

chadster Member

I would love to see the specs! I will follow along here or just send me a personal message through the site.

20. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

If it works well I think I may make one for my garage. Got all the stuff except for the fan will wait on that to see which one you get. I guess I could put my beer in there also...lol

landon6062 and chadster like this.