cheap a/c 'ice chest" make..??

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by landon6062, Jun 24, 2018.

1. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

THANKS DAN. lol.. a cooling vest .. lol ok...

OH you have no idea how excited I am... I've been waiting to get my hubby on board with camping for a LONG LONG TIME..
    And I certainly want to make it pleasurable for him. Honestly I handle the heat better than he does..... It is just the best solution I can come up with to deal with the heat...hopefully it will work.. : )

And YES.. bring on the marshmallows.. : )

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  2. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I'm not sure where I should put this..at least it does have to do with cooling down the pup..lol. We did get the gizmos..though I do believe a reflective tarp would do the same thing... We normally don't have a lot of high winds here, but that last few storms kept blowing my gizmos off with just the clips...i found a solution to that...that really worked last night through a very windy storm.. thanks to the many helps here on the portal. We bought a grommet set and punched holes in the gizmos and flex tape, ie water resistant and strong...and pulled buggy cords around the bunks..pictures included..

Attached Files:

jnc likes this.
  3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Glad you got it figured out, did basically the same to my tarps. How was the backyard camping experience?

landon6062 likes this.
  4. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Lol...we are actually camping tonight for the first time...yesterday we spent the day setting up a few things and experimenting with the ice cooler...managed to get the Pup down to 85 degrees...with all the additions for cooling we made..It was a miserable " 103 "outside...Today is forecasted to be much cooler..Hopefully that doesn't mean it is going to rain all night lol

5. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Well have fun, hope the weather cooperates for yall

6. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Oh and i forgot to add...my Pup is setting out in the open sun...so if I had the addition of shade trees...it might actually be comfortable for camping even in this weather..

7. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Thanks UP. You have been a great help.

JPBar likes this.
  8. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Goodness that auto correct....lol. that was suppose to be. "THANK YOU"..I HAVE no idea what Thank ups even means. Lol

9. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

10. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

LIFE loves to give you hiccups lol....SO funny... We went through so much trouble to stay cool.. And then the first "backyard" camping we do, it gets below 68 degrees during the night.. .

It was really nice and comfortable., I really enjoyed the camping.

By the way.. JPBAR, and anyone that is interested..

ICE COOLER/ A/C

We made a few changes with the Icebox/a/c, that seems to be working much better for us..

That "aluminum duct" just didn't work, it was too big for the cooler, and we replaced it 2 times. Every time it got holes in it, and would fill with water.

We decided to try an old " POOL HOSE " that we had laying around. It was one of the nicer ones. I think they are about 25.00.

BUT it is "WATER PROOF" and we had no problems with it during the day yesterday.. The temperature from the cooler was " 55 degrees", there was a little less "air velocity" but for the small space in the PUP it worked fine. The fan had no problem running, and we never heard any water gurgles in the line. We did end up having to turn it off around 7on last night because the PUP got below 66 degrees. ... I do think this is going to work.

I will let you FOR certain when we empty the cooler today. But I do NOT believe we had any "condensation problems" in the POOL HOSE.. And of course, even if we have a "LITTLE" the pool hose is much more "durable", and can be handled and maneuvered easier. ( a little more costly, but worth it over all)

: )

I'll included pictures..

11. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I'll share this UPDATE On the Ice box cooler EXPERIMENT that we are trying. We are still in the experimenting stage, but things are going well with it..

FOR THOSE THAT ARE INTERESTED:

.. Portable as long as you have '110/120 ac 20180708_074221.jpg volts of power

Pros:
    Is not a mist cooler
    Spout can be turned in different directions.
    takes up less space than most portables, can be put on the table or counter.
    doesn't require a VENT
    can be used for SOME drinks.
    Over all we used 3 bags of ice in it from 2pm till around 6pm last night.
    It will cool the Intake air to around 15 to 20 degrees cooler than what is in the room 20180708_070833.jpg .
    Fan runs very quiet. quieter than the a/c itself... IT is not the HAIR BLOWING type, but blows a consistent steady flow of cool air into the PUP.
    Can be emptied in the sink in the PUP, including "pool hose" if necessary. However, we did not find an condensation build up in the hose.

*****It blows a consisted 15-20 degrees less than the temperature that is in the AIR.. example: "when it is 80 degrees, it will blow an air temperature of around 60)

CONS:

It cost about 75.00 over all. "We used a POOL HOSE, instead of the "aluminum duct" much more durable and long lasting."
    POOL hose "MAY" need to be emptied when cooler is empty. However after running it for 4 to 5 hours yesterday there was no BUILD up of CONDENSATION within the POOL HOSE.

At this time.. I have found no more CONS.. lol

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't know YET if I would go all out and say .. "EVERYBODY needs one of these during those hot summer months."

For us, it has been a good supplement with the a/c.

WE will be camping again very soon. I will give an UPDATE on it again at that time..

OOps meant to put the pictures at the bottom.. sorry

jnc likes this.
  12. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I did want to share this for your information:

* The LONGER the hose the better. IE: It has more of a chance to "COOL" the air inside the hose the longer it is in the ICE.

* You will need a fan that blows around 200 or more CFM. your average fan at wal-mart will simply not get the job done.

It of course is not a "REPLACEMENT for an A/C". I am not recommending this for some one that doesn't already have A/C in their camper. Please don't risk your health. IF you try one of these, PLEASE TEST TEST TEST it yourself before depending on this even as a SUPPLEMENT..

We are continuing our TEST, and of course have not been able to test it in various climates.. but it is a good starting point for us.

hope that helps..

chadster, jnc and Rik Peery like this.