Check your tire dates

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Jeep Guy, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

Mar 7, 2018
    I just bought a 2008 StarCraft camper and I inspected the tires when I bought it and they looked good. There was plenty of thread and no dry rot cracks. We took the camper for a night this weekend to test it out. The camp ground was 45 miles away. When we returned, I found that about a 9" section of tire thread was gone and the nylon cord reinforcing was shredding. I took the tire to a local tire store and the salesman showed me the date code. The tire was one of the original tires and it was made in 2008. He said that is all of my tires are 10 years old, they are to old and not safe. They could only special order the tire I need and the installed price was $85. I told them no thanks. I ordered two 12-5.30 Kenda tires with the rims for $107 total.
    The date code is a 4 number code molded into the tire near the rim. The last two numbers is the year is was manufactured. In my case, it said 08.
    trailer tire.jpg

[​IMG]

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Yep.
    Ten years is too long. Mine (which are not ST tires) will be five years this year), but still look good. And I might replace them anyway.
    And the date code is only required on one side of the tire, so Murphy's law says they will be on the inside.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  3. CheekyRunner

CheekyRunner New Member

Oct 19, 2017
    wow! I just bought a new to me PU in the fall that we haven't gone out in yet. I will be sure to check the tires date after reading this. Thanks for posting this useful information!

Jeep Guy likes this.
  4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    It has been mentioned many times here on the portal. . You also have to make sure that you get a tire with the correct load range. .

Jeep Guy likes this.
  5. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Yeah, thinking of buying new ones for mine this year. They are all the originals from 2002. Same though, tons of tread and no cracks. I carry 2 spares though, just in case.

6. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

Mar 7, 2018
    If you pup is riding on 16 year old tires, I would definitely replace those. The 12-5.3 tire and rim combo was $54 each so they are not very expensive.

7. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Spares are nice, but if a trailer tire blows it will most likely cause damage to the wheel well extending into the trailer. Just saying....

J Starsky likes this.
  8. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Yeah, I've been thinking about it for a few years now, just need to pull the trigger on some. I have 145R12C on it right now from the factory. They've always looked a little small for it. I think I'll probably move up to ST 175 80R13, just because. Figure I'll buy 2 on nice aluminum rims and have my 4 old ones as spares. Probably be about $150 each, give or take.

I hear ya. One of the tires had a belt crap out last year. It happened within reasonable distance (1/2 hour) to our campsite. I thought I could see it hopping in the mirror. I waited till I got to the park and then changed it a few days later when I had time. It was parked in one spot for 3 weeks of camping. But yeah, if it would've come apart, that plastic inner fender would've been destroyed. That one has now become the second goto spare, if at all.

9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I had similar issues on two different boat trailers. I had a 14-foot fishing boat. DW and I were heading out and I just happened to glance at the tires as we were getting ready to pull out and noticed missing tread and loose tread.

A couple years ago, we were taking our NTU ski boat to the storage building about 60 miles from home. Before I bought the boat I looked over the tires and all seemed well. I towed it about 125 miles home without issue. A few days later I was rolling down the Interstate and blew a tire on the trailer. Fortunately, there was no damage to the trailer.

Both boat trailers and the Pup have new tires and I plan to replace the tires on the NTU travel trailer before a trip to Colorado this summer. [:)C]

10. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    I'm online pricing new tires now. Someday the snow might melt and I can go camping again. Since I tend to do 80 mph on the interstates a new set might be advantageous.

Jeep Guy likes this.
  11. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
  12. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Yikes! That is an accident waiting to happen.

13. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
  14. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    My only popup tire blowout was with a tire less than one year old, 3 miles after checking the pressure and pulling out....It happens.

15. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Jun 18, 2013
    central Oregon
    We just replaced tires on ours and rotated the newest tire to be the spare, which is stored up underneath the trailer. Glad we never needed to use the existing spare. It had rubbed against the trailer frame and damaged the sidewall of the tire. Now we have closed cell foam between the tire and trailer frame.

16. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Nov 9, 2014
    San Antonio
    Please tell me when you are going on the road. I definitely don't want to be on the same road.

17. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I was talking to a fellow camp neighbor. He overheard my conversation with my side kick about buying new tires every 5 years for the camper and he comes over to tell his story. He knew his tires were 5 years old but figured they were good for one more trip as they still had good tread and no dry rot. So off he goes on a long trip with his 28' TT. On the way there he blows one tire. Replaces it with his spare (also old). On the way back he blows the spare tire and soon after another tire blows. He ended up replacing all four tires on his trip and is now careful about watching the date.

18. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    I just ordered two more from Discount Tire, even though my current ones look great and not being trailer tires recommended change is every 7 years. But I hate changing tires out in the middle of nowhere. Prefer the driveway.:D

19. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Here's some for $113 each (Free shipping)
    http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/product/ARR17513CAM0235545BM

20. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado

My brother says (who owns every toy known to man and tows, owns and hauls everything that ever had wheels, including construction equipment) :):) says Carlisle tires are cheap tires and should not be used on trailers. He says to spend a few bucks more and get something like a goodyear truck tire. Others may have their own opinions, but I've always trusted his opinions and advice when it comes to trailers, RV's, towing, etc.