Cigarette lighter socket install for 12volts

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by BillykAldrich, May 19, 2017.

1. BillykAldrich

BillykAldrich New Member

Mar 24, 2017
    I want to wire up a double lighter socket. What gage wire should I use? I want to tap into 12 volt line I have found or run a line out to battery . I will use it for a fan and I have a plug in battery check. Until I find a meter to watch my battery use. Thanks folks

2. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    If connecting to an existing circuit there is no benefit to using wire large than the existing circuit.

If wiring to battery (or converter) be sure it is fused and 14 or 12 gauge wire is probably sufficient. I would use 12 gauge and a 20 amp fuse.

3. graham.m

graham.m New Member

Jun 5, 2017
    https://www.amazon.com/Cllena-Funct...=1496782403&sr=8-1&keywords=12+v+outlet+panel

Just ordered one of these to install, its coming from china so 2 week shipping delay, but it looks like a pretty slick little unit, voltage monitor, USB outlets and 12v 'lighter' style outlet.

No idea on quality yet but the price is tough to beat. I'm planning on just installing it into my converter, so it will use the fuse already installed in the converter, and the battery meter will be dedicated direct to the battery with an inline 5 amp fuse or something tiny just incase the china electronics poop the sheets.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Boston, MA
    I bought 3 of that exact brand. Quality is just fine. I installed the first one last weekend.

5. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    I have one of those installed in my PUP, works fine