Clean-up tips for PUP after returning home from camping..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by landon6062, Aug 8, 2018.

1. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I did a short search but didn't see anything on this subject..

I would just like to hear some basic clean-up tips after I return from camping?

We put the PUP back up, opened a few windows for it to dry out.

Cleaned windows and floors etc.

Is there anything that I should attend to other than that?

The weather today says it is going to be 105 with heat index.

Since we are going back to the camp ground on Aug 24. I was thinking of just leaving it up till then?

I am also concerned with it being so HOT and humid here, would it be better to leave it up for long periods of time?

Are there any conditions that I should be concerned about with leaving it up for long periods of time?

Thank you for your advice.

donna

2. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

As far as cleaning, I do it just like the kitchen in my house. The greatest enemies to pups is wind and water. I keep mine closed when not in use. It also protects the canvas from UV rays. That being said, the pup can actually stay up for very long periods. I've camped as long as 6 weeks with it up the whole time.
    Steve

landon6062 likes this.
  3. chadster

chadster Member

We do a lot of cleaning before leaving the campground. Sweeping, wipe everything down, etc. The only reason we set it back up when we get home right away is if it rained. Most of our trips this year it has been get home, open door pull out dirty laundry, and shut door. Then when leaving again it is night before open door, throw clothes in, load up the van, hitch, and go!

jnc and landon6062 like this.
  4. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Thanks Steve.

Guess I am not sure which to be more concerned about.. It being up for a long period of time, putting extra stress on the stabilizers and bunks or the Humidity and heat causing mold inside????

..... It has 'rained" every afternoon here.. It is hard to keep it dry enough now, to feel comfortable with putting it down..

dilemma dilemma.. ugg

I did clean it like my kitchen, in fact I have cleaned that vinyl 3 times now...

5. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

It didn't rain while we camped, but there was a LOT of condensation on the vinyl windows. So I thought it was better to DRY it out and clean the windows before putting it back down...

I just didn't know if there was some kind of CHECK LIST I should be going through before I put it down for an extended period..

donna

6. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

I bought a tub of Damp Rid but haven't used it yet, & have a small dehumidifier, but have an a frame; when we had a pop up, I'd take out the cushions & spray 'em w/ Lysol & left 'em in the sun, never had any probs, even brought them in the house a couple of times due to extreme humidity...may be over kill, but nary a spot of mildew...

Horby and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I'm ok with over kill. Lol. I think a dehumidifier will be on my next list of purchases. Good idea....just a lot of condensation going on my windows.. i also sprayed the cushions with lysol and brought them in...unfortunately the first day I brought it home and opened it up it came up a surprise shower and it rained on the couch bench..ugg.....fortunately. I didn't open the bunk ends...

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

The Damp Rid buckets work well to help with condensation, etc. I use them in my clipper when the weather gets damp and it makes a difference. Don't forget to open any compartments with bottled liquids in them - those bottles will sweat and get the compartment very musty.

9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

When we get home the pup gets opened up and we unpack the stuff we used (cookware, sheets sleeping bags, etc). I will go thru and vacuum the beds and cushions. I will then flush out the sink drain with hot water a few times to flush out any food particles and then blow out the drain with my shop vac. This blows all the water out of the p-trap. I then wipe down all hard surfaces with Clorox wipes. The last thing I do is clean the floor.

As for cleaning the vinyl bunks ends. I use 303 Vinyl cleaner and then 303 Aerospace Protectorant. This stuff has good UV blockers.

Forgot to mention that we also use DampRid when the pup gets stored for longer periods. Usually a month or longer between trips.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Rik Peery, jmkay1 and landon6062 like this.
  10. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

If I had two weeks between trips and already had it set up I'd leave it up and tinker on things or check things out since it's up.

landon6062 likes this.
  11. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

great advice people.. thank you.

Ordering my Damprid and 303 vinyl protector now...

I was very concerned with the vinyl drying out with Windex..

Thank you all, very much appreciated..

12. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

RIK.. do you have any suggestions on the dehumidifier? Might as well go for it all while I am at amazon prime.. lol

13. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Because my camper goes straight to my off-site storage, I do a good clean out before I leave. I do a thorough sweep up and washing of the floors, wipe down of hard surfaces, If I need to wash sheets or other blankets I move then to my TV. I considered buying a hand vac to keep in the camper but I don't always camp with electricity. So still debating about this. I make sure the sink is cleaned out real good . I give the toilet a good cleaning as well. If I know I'm going camping within a month or less I may push the floor cleaning or sheet washing until after the next trip. If it rained I may have to return to the storage place and popup the camper to air out. Good time to work on my maintenance then too. Sure wish I was able to popup at home.

landon6062 likes this.
  15. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Not sure I would use a dehumidifier? Basically you are putting a dehumidifier in a tent! When closed I would use DampRid. When it's open just open the flaps to let a breeze thru.

landon6062 likes this.
  16. Rik Peery

Hey Donna, just saw this, son was on leave & had to fly back to Ft Drum...I think outs is a "Health Trendy" model, fairly small, our a frame is small, the larger size may help you more...

landon6062 likes this.
  17. Rik Peery

Used to use a dehumidifier when we had a pop up at times, can get dang humid down here, breeze did little at times worked great when opened/windows zipped, never heard of using one closed up...***We didn't have ac on our pop up, used a revolving fan sometimes too...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    landon6062 likes this.
  18. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Thanks silvermickey..: ) I think? It would be a good addition for me...it gets pretty humid here in the south..sometimes even the sheets feel wet in popups...in those 90 or more tempts... it was 105 today...

19. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Thanks Rik...ill check that one out..: )

Rik Peery likes this.
  20. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

I think people have more issues when they only use their pups “seasonally”. Some climates they get to open it 3 weekends each summer and that’s it. Down here our “season” can be 12 months per year (even tho I can’t see myself camping If it’s going to get down to 45 at night so 11 months in my case).

landon6062 likes this.