Cleaned my windows and was shocked

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Orchid, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I don't usually do the cleaning on the exterior of the vinyl windows, that's something DH has always done, as it's difficult for me to reach it all.

So, last night, I decided to go out and do the windows, before I put up new curtains, since DH is not here right now. I opened the one on the door side, spread it all out and sprayed with vinyl cleaner. To my shock, there was solid black grime coming off it. Not brown or tan, but dark solid black like coal.

Since we live in Florida, I was confused about this. It took about 1/3 roll of paper towels to get it all cleaned. We don't have coal mines or coal dust here, just tan sand. So, finished up that side and opened up the rear window to start on that. To add to the mystery, that side only had tan/brown dirt on it.

A few hours later, it finally dawned on me how the front side window got blackened. I'm just curious if anyone here comes to the same conclusion. What do you think?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Campfire is the only thing that comes to mind.

Kampus, Sjm9911 and Orchid like this.
  3. Orchid

That's my guess.

With the amount of black that came off the window, it's a wonder I could still see through it. We typically have the same site every month, as it's a "tent site" at our favorite state park, and most people don't realize you can put a pup on it. Although it's a big site, the fire pit is close to the camper, in a rather inconvenient spot. I think we will start reserving the other nice "tent site" there that has a fire pit much further away. Both have hook ups.

4. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    My guess is that DH slacked off on his responsibilities.

Orchid likes this.
  5. Orchid

[LOL][LOL][LOL] There just couldn't be a better answer than this!

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Well now you know the answer to your conundrum, another thing that will stain the windows etc. is parking around oaks tree, my TT and MH gets terrible black streaks from the tannic acid in the trees, leaves etc. Any way you got them cleaned and ready for the next trip..Good Luck and Keep On Camping

Orchid likes this.
  7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Ahh I better clean mine before my wife finds out.

alley Kat, Orchid and jnc like this.
  8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

My pup's are quite tinted... you weren't rubbing the tint off, were you?

Otherwise I guess the only answer would be campfire, but I'd expect the street side to be much less in that case (unless you're frequently parked by neighboring campfires)

Orchid likes this.
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    My trick is to use pleadge the lemon one. It will make the windows crystal clear for like 2 to 3 weeks. It fills in the smaller stuff marks. Some say it eventually turns the windows yellow, my jeep so far has had 0 p roblums with that. It's 4 years old.

Orchid likes this.
  10. Orchid

No, they've never been tinted. [LOL] That would really suck to clean off the tint.

It was on the door side that always faces our fire pit. The back is backed up to utilities.

So you clean them with Pledge, or put that on after cleaning? I was using 303 vinyl cleaner. I've always used that, other than the first time, when I needed to get mildew off and used bleach.

Now I'm going to be stress-fully aware that our campfire smoke is leaving black dust on our window, and likely canvas, although I've never seen it there. I feel like this was something I was better off not knowing. I'd like to put something on to repel things.

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I clean with the pleadge, if it's real bad I just wipe with wet cloth first. Pleadge polishes and fill in the small cracks

12. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    I worked in Miami for a nearly a year. No mud on the job, truck was never off road.

It was filthy, had to have it washed every 2 weeks because of the black film on it.
    Not sure if it was from pollution or what, but it was hard to keep the truck clean down there.

Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    +1 on the Pledge....been using it for years on my motorcycle windshields & helmet face shields.....even eyeglasses with polycarbonate lenses, with continued use, it does fill in scratches. I use one cloth to clean/polish with, then a clean dry one to buff...this removes any streaking.

Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    Sounds like you have your answer.. : ) but just in case.. "parking it under a GUM TREE" will do it too, but I suspect it would also be on the TOP of the PUP too..

Glad you got it cleaned up to your liking.. Hope you enjoy your camping ..

donna : )

Orchid likes this.
  15. Orchid

We are nowhere near Miami, or any major city. We live out in the boondocks of Northern Florida, 15 miles to nearest town, and it's not a big town. The closest "big city" is Gainesville, about an hour away.

16. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I used to own a car lot and you’d be surprised how much smoke leaves a film on everything. You could dry wipe the inside of a windshield and it would be like busting a hole in it compared to the rest, lol. If your clothes can “smell” like a campfire then everything around it has been coated along with you.

Orchid likes this.