Cleaning & waterproofing canvas

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by katybear, Jan 9, 2019.

1. katybear

katybear New Member

Dec 21, 2018
    We just bought a 2010 Coleman Destiny Westlake and the canvas is in decent shape (just a couple pinholes around the little canvas pop-out over the sink). We don't know when the last time waterproofing treatment was applied, but we do know that the previous owner who had it for 2 years said that he never waterproofed it. I'd like to clean it first, let it dry, and then apply waterproofing treatment. The manual has information about recommended cleaning solution and waterproofing to use.

Is it possible to clean it and waterproof it without removing the entire canvas from the camper? Or would that cause a big mess on the camper box? Is removing the canvas and putting it back on afterward a total nightmare, or is it fairly simple?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    It'a actually probably easier to wash, rinse, dry and waterproof it on the camper. Otherwise, you're going to be wrestling large sections of the tenting, and few of us have a good place to hang those up.
    Removing and replacing the canvas on our old Palomino wasn't difficult. We never did that on our 2010 Coleman Cobalt, but it would not have frightened us.

katybear likes this.
  3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    I've cleaned mine while on the camper. Not hard to get off & on but a real pain in the behind.

katybear likes this.
  4. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro New Member

Dec 27, 2018
    Usually it's not to messy doing it on the camper and I imagine it is a lot easier too. Just a simple wash with dawn afterwards is probably more than acceptable to get off any overspray that lands on the box. (I'm not sure what the manual calls for when waterproofing). We used starbrite canvas cleaner with starbrite waterproofing spray. However, we have real canvas on ours.

katybear likes this.