Clearance lights leak

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by nineoaks2004, Nov 10, 2018.

1. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I was in the TT checking for leaks and in the cabinet on each side of the bed, I found a few small drops of water after checking I figured it must be coming from the clearance lights in the front, went to CW and purchased a 3/4 x 30' roll of butyl tape and a tube of Dicor self leveling caulk. I got up on a ladder (did I mention I do not like being off the ground) removed one clearance light and I found that the $%$%#@ idiot who installed them at the factory had not used anything to seal them and screwed them to the metal I re-did both front lights and then checked with a hose and also the frog strangler we had last night and no leaks now, so I am glad I bought a 30 ft roll of tape as I plan (once the weather lets me do so) remove and re-seal the other 9 lights , all the caulk seams looks really good I have a tube of caulk for future use. I also have a tube of 100% caulk to finish sealing the lights on top and on the sides to make sure I have no leaks. Just goes to show that my unit was probably built on Fri. and the idiot that installed them was more interested in the day ending so HE could go camping:)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Glad you were able to find the leak and get it taken care of!

3. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    If the idiot that was supposed to do his job had sealed them I would not have had to do his job. I bought this unit new and luckily it has not leaked until now. Just goes to show the QA that goes (none at all) into these units by the manufacturers.

4. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    You won't be happy with the results if you use that on a vertical surface.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Did you test the lights after.. they might ground through the metal skin.. which now they won't. .

For vertical surfaces you want Dicor no sag.. or use what just about any dealer out there uses.. good ole silicone. ..

6. neighbormike

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    I bought a new unit last May... spent the summer dealing with quality "control issues"... only one big problem that necessitated a warranty call... nine trips in, I was still finding "small" stuff. Pretty sure all trailers are built either on Mondays or Fridays lol!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    kcsa75 likes this.
  7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Just goes to show "Good help is hard to find" This is what happened to the American auto industry years ago....no quality control and it opened the door to foreign competition..............

8. neighbormike

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Hmmm, Japanese built TT... if Toyota built one I'd buy it!

joet likes this.
  9. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I know, I bought it just in case I needed it for sealing anything on the roof that might need it.

10. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Checked them and all is good, just need to seal the other nine now. I am familiar with Dicor products, I bought it just in case I needed it while checking the caulking on the roof which was fine.

11. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Whats a frog strangler?

Snow likes this.
  12. Fless

Fless Active Member

What makes you think it was his job? Maybe that's the way the manufacturer cuts costs and it's not part of his job duties.

Wondering this myself. LOL
    _

13. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    That's a new one to me too, but I would guess it falls into the same category as a gully washer, i.e. a heck of a lot of rain in a short period of time. [:)C]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    neighbormike likes this.
  14. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    We call a really heavy rain in a short period of time a frog strangler, (even the weather channel said those exact words the other night) IE: gully washer.

DJFav and neighbormike like this.
  15. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Toad choker

kcsa75 likes this.