CO - Mesa Verde National Park; Morefield CG

Discussion in 'National Parks, Forests and ACOE Campgrounds' started by NJGuy, Jul 19, 2011.

1. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    At 350+ CSs, this is a huge CG. However, the loops are spread out and buffered with gambel oaks. There was excellent spacing behind CSs. Reasonable space to adjacent CSs. The vendor, ARAmark, offers free reservations. However, even on July 4th weekend, the CG was not full. The location is in a narrow valley and independent from rest of the park. Camp roads were in bad shape and had huge concrete storm runoff ditches on both sides; kind of odd. This made backing PUP more difficult. My fresh water tank drain pipe barely cleared this obstacle. Most CSs did not have a driveway. Instead, a wide area of unmowed grass was available to park PUP and TV. The best feature was free showers! Also, Ranger Programs in evening were fun. The worst feature was bathrooms in poor condition. The park itself has numerous cliff dwellings and ruins.

The trees in background were burnt in a massive wildfire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Sounds great!
    It is saved in my faves.

3. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Were you in the main area of loops, or in that part of the campground nearer the campfire amphitheatre?

We stayed there in 2009. Was fine for a place to merely stay (we were out exploring the park all day) but rather crowded for our tastes, and a little run down as well.

Glad you enjoyed yourself. It's an amazing park to see.

4. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    We were in next to last loop towards amphitheatre. For $23 a night, not in very good condition. When we came in on a holiday weekend, only one person checking out in camp store and for campers. Aramark does not have a very good reputation. Nice location though.

5. RonB

RonB New Member

Jun 8, 2011
    We have been there three times. First two when our 32 and 40 year old kids were kids. We returned last year and spent most of a week in the park. Still a fascinating place. If any of you go or go back we could recommend a couple other parks in the area:
    • Chaco Canyon in NW New Mexico about 120 miles south of Mesa Verde. I am not recommending pulling a trailer into the park but it does have a campground. 15 Miles of very rough access road but well worth the drive. The stone work on those ruins is incredible.
    • Hovenweep National Monument - an easy day drive north west of Mesa Verde.

RonB

6. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Hovenweep is much closer than a day drive; I think it took us 90 minutes or so at most from Mesa Verde. And you can choose a route through Canyon of the Ancients National Monument and stop and see some of the sites there along the way. Lowery Pueblo is the largest of the sites in this relatively unvisited monument.

7. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Jul 19, 2011
    We stayed two nights at Mesa Verde in July of this year.

The Morefield campground was not particularly special, mostly open with just a few sites offering shade or screening from scrub oak and brush. I agree, free showers were a nice touch. The campground was maybe 30% full during our stay. We saw only four other popups.

Here is our campsite with Lone Cone in the background:
    [​IMG]

Some pics of the cliff dwellings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]