Coates RV and AC Nelsen RV (both in MN)

Discussion in 'RV Dealers & Repair Shops' started by bsandey, May 9, 2017.

1. bsandey

bsandey Member

Jun 9, 2005
    This is a double review of a couple dealerships I had recent experience with.

Coates RV - Not very happy about their customer service. Ordered a pop-up camper at the RV show in Feb, and was told it should be ready sometime in Apr. April comes and goes, no call from them. I give them an additional week into May, and still no call. I finally called them up, talked to the Sales Manager, and he just seemed to make excuses. "I can't control distribution", "I don't know why you were told what you were told", "I'll have to have a word with the sales person", and so on. I understand that there are issues that the dealership doesn't control, like distribution. But they do control having their sales people get on the phone with their customers to keep them up to date on what's going on. This is where they failed with me, and what I consider poor customer service.

I rate them 2 stars out of 5 (He did say that he will try and see if he can refund the deposit to me, and all the others that cancelled. If he can pull that off, I might have a better attitude toward them. So it's wait and see right now. If it happens, might raise it an additional star to 3 out of 5.)

AR Nelsen RV - This was much more of a positive experience. I had found a used A-Frame online, and called about it. The salesman was very helpful, and a couple of questions he didn't have the information available right there, he did go find the answers and called me back. I told him I could be out there after work to look at it, and would be there probably between 4:30 and 5. He said he could be there as he had to leave by 4 for a prior engagement, but he would make sure that someone else had my information to help me when I arrived. And a little later, I got a text message from him with who to contact when I arrived. Turns out that the weight on the web site for the camper and the weight on the sticker on the camper were off a few hundred pound, and that put it out of my tow capacity (it was going to be borderline by the web site weight, but I could have work with it). Didn't want to leave after just a few minutes after driving 1-1/2 hours to get there, so we talked about other campers they had, or could access. Suddenly, he remembered one that just arrived over the weekend, and he showed me that. It's an Aliner Ascape, and when I saw it, and the weight, it pretty much sold itself. Got a call this morning from them on the financing, and they set up an appointment with a local business near them for the wiring in my vehicle (I have a 4-pin harness, and it needs 7-pin), and after that is done, I can swing by and go through the walk-through and pick up the trailer.

I give them 4-1/2 stars (had to knock a little off for the discrepancy between the reported weight on the web site and the actual weight when I got there).

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  2. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Member

Jun 14, 2014
    We like Hilltop Campers, we usually go to the one in Fridley. The carry Jayco and others, bot used and new. They have a complete line of repair parts for Jaycos, so I run up there once in a while if I need a replacement part for my camper. I also attended the RV show in Feb. with my wife. We were looking at camper vans as we will likely move to one in about 3 or 4 years. Will have to build it ourselves as we can't shell out the $ that there were asking for the ones that we visited.

3. bsandey

bsandey Member

Jun 9, 2005
    UPDATE: Coates RV called me today to tell me that they are refunding the deposit. So that does make me feel a little better (an additional star to make it 3 out of 5). I've read several reviews of them that people loved dealing with them, and several that people weer unhappy. So all I can say is if you decide to work with them, decide for yourself if they do a good job or not.