Coldest?

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by bahanse75, Apr 4, 2018.

1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

The coldest we have camped with the pup is when it got down to 17 F during the night. The coldest I camped in a tent was -5 F for a Boy Scout Klondike Derby.

With the pup, before we packed it up when it was that cold I would run the ceramic heater in it to keep it semi-warm. It helped keep the vinyl for the windows nice and pliable.

2. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Mason and I did a Polar Bear campout 2 years ago. Got down to 27F, in a tent. I didn't sleep well… but not because of the cold. Sleeping on a 1/2" foam pad is fine when you're 30. When you're pushing 60… not so much. I bought an air mattress and put the pads on it for the next night. That went MUCH better.

The other thing I learned is that a down mummy bag is really confining when you get older. I bought it from an Army surplus store back when; I think it was rated to -40° when it was new, and it's still pretty warm even if the seams spit feathers on occasion. Mason and I swapped bags on the second night, and both of us were happy with the results. ("His" bag is "only" rated to 20F, but I was a happy camper that night anyway. Toe warmers helped; I hate in general for my feet to be cold.)

I hope we'll be able to do a Camp Driveway next weekend. We'll have the sleeping bags and a Little Buddy heater if things get really chilly. I suspect that Popup Gizmos would make year-round camping a comfortable prospect on Planet Georgia, at least 360 days out of 365.

3. silvermickey2002

I will be camping with our scout troop during the Klondike Derby this month. The temps at night will be about 10-15 F (above 0). I put down 2 sleeping bag pads and use a 25 degree sleeping bag with a Zero degree mummy bag inside the other one. I have used this setup when we have camped at -5 degrees (F). Keeps me nice and warm. Before I go to bed I will fill 2-3 of my Nalgene bottles with hot water and put them inside the sleeping bag to warm it up (Yes, it does help!).

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Also, sleeping with your water keeps it from freezing so you can make pancakes in the morning. On some of our Scout campouts, we use the "cooler" to keep things from freezing.

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  5. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Don't know the temps, but fall camporee with the scouts. I froze, all the boys were happy. Tenting in Grand Tetons in late July. Got down into the 40's, but we didn't have a thermometer.

6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Tent in 3+ feet of snow, -22F. in the UP of MI, 1976. But with the popup in the low teens

7. silvermickey2002

Ok, I think you win!!!!

8. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

The coldest we've ever gotten down to is in the low 30's at night. Even with a 0 degree sleeping bag its still VERY cold. The addition of a heated blanket should help on those brutally cold mornings....

9. Tumbleweed53

Tumbleweed53 Member

I have camped in the pup in the Idaho high desert country in Nov. Stormy week, low was 9* and high was 19* for the three nights and four days we were there.
    No power, no generator, just two group 31 batteries and two propane tanks along with a Mr Buddy. Set the thermostat for 55* and wore sweaters. Good and heavy sleeping bags. Mr. Buddy under the table when we were playing cards or eating. Did not use water tank. Did fill the cassette toilet with RV antifreeze for flushing. Spent a lot of time in the pup due to showers and yucky weather. Used bottles water kept inside the pup for coffee water. No reflectix, no gizmos, no generator, no shore power. We did okay. Had to set up the pup in the garage at home to dry out. Did hook the truck up to the batteries on the third day with jumper cables for 20 minutes. Batteries were not dead, but wanted the insurance.

10. silvermickey2002

Tumbleweed53, I can understand the challenge of cold weather camping. But reading your experience above to me was like "WHY"!!!! That's not camping, it's more like trying to stay warm! [LOL]

Sjm9911 likes this.