Coleman Columbia owners club.

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by EvilM0nkey, Sep 18, 2011.

1. jenmenke

jenmenke New Member

Sep 11, 2017
    We have a 1984 Columbia and I can safely say it's pretty much my favorite thing. This tiny camper has been so much fun. One thing I have not seen much of here as far as modifications go is replacing the axle for bigger tires. We did that a few years ago and I cannot tell you how much of a difference it has made. No more blowing tiny tires!! Easier trailering behind SUV, too. Replaced stabilizer legs in the back with longer versions and moved the shorter ones to the front. Love it. IMG_2126.JPG

2. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    welcome jenmenke, that's a beautiful little Columbia in what is definitely an idyllic setting.

3. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    Got a question for all the Columbia owners. Do you actually use the table in the popup? I've found on our last couple of trips I ended up setting up the table under the awning for an outdoor eating area without having to move the picnic table to get it out of the rain (we seem to have the best luck in always having at least one day/night of rain on our trips). We've found that (obviously) there is quite a bit more room in the popup without it. I would just leave it home but it does come in handy outside. The few times we eat in the popup is usually just morning coffee or late night snacks (away from the bugs). Just curious if others find the table handy/convenient inside the pup. Of course it also helps, it's only the two of us so never need it for the bed space.

4. jenmenke

jenmenke New Member

Sep 11, 2017
    We ALWAYS put the table outside. (We disperse camp most often so there are no other tables.) Even when there is a picnic table, we take it out so that we can move around easier. We would miss it if we left it at home tho.

5. jenmenke

jenmenke New Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Hey Fuzzy -- I notice you are on here a lot and I saw in an earlier post that you replaced a ton of things on your 1984. We also have a 1984. A few years ago I removed the galley kitchen and replaced it with a simple open shelf for our bags. Have never regretted it. Now I want to replace the vinyl floor.

I have the seats and shelf removed (fairly easy) but I can't figure out how to remove the plastic floor molding or the thin side panels to get at the edges of the original flooring. I guess I'd like to remove that and put down new stuff over the floor so that it behaves exactly like the original, but I can't figure out how do to that -- or if it's even worth it. What are your thoughts? I think the biggest obstacle is the door threshold. I don't want anything sticking up there and looking crappy. I tried to remove it but it isn't budging.

My other pet peeve is the dust that creeps in EVERYWHERE. Is there any real solution to this?

6. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    I'm hoping to open mine up this weekend to do a few things I'll take a look at the molding and door threshold and see if I can figure it out. I'm planning on a new flooring either this fall or in the spring so it's something I'll have to look into. I was thinking of just going over the old flooring since taking that up and getting the glue and all cleaned is probably more work than I want to do but I'll lay out the new flooring first and see if it will lay right over the old stuff. I'm thinking of using the vinyl plank interlocking flooring.