Coleman Fleetwood Cheyenne 2002 camper will lift up but not stay up

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by jayleanie, Jul 24, 2015.

1. jayleanie

jayleanie New Member

Jul 24, 2015
    Hello. I am having a problem with my Coleman Fleetwood Cheyenne 2002, it will crank up (yes hear the clicking), but will not stay up. Falls right down and I have to use something to make it stay in place. This is not what happened in the past. What do I need to do to make it stop?

2. jdirosa72@gmail.com

jdirosa72@gmail.com New Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Check ur winch lock, it might not be engaging, maybe a little wd40 will help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Try taking the cover off the winch and greas it, also there is a spring that could be broken..

4. jayleanie

jayleanie New Member

Jul 24, 2015
    Thank you I will try that and see what happens. I will give you an update as soon as I can get under it and try to fix it.

5. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Stillwater, MN
    No offense to the previous answers, but you do not have a winch. Nor a winch lock. DO NOT spray wd-40 into your lift, EVER. Where your crank goes in is a brake pad and wd-40 will contaminate it and let it slip. Did you spray anything in there? Did you let someone else raise the roof last time?

If you hear the clicking, that is a good sign. One thing to check is the extension tube. When you raise and lower the roof, you should have a few turns of the handle as the extension tube either puts pressure on the pressure plate or takes it off before the lift starts working. Watch my video to understand that more. See if you have these turns. I currently have a camper in my yard to repair that is doing the same thing and I am pretty sure the extension tube is stuck. I will be getting a pipe wrench on it and holding the wiffle tree to get it free and see if that fixes the problem. I am just guessing so far, but I think it was raised by too strong of a muscle head and he really torqued it on. This is causing the brake pad to shatter and not work. I will see.

shuang2 likes this.
  6. Stacy in AZ

Stacy in AZ New Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I just bought a 2005 Fleetwood and after taking it out a few times with no issues, after my last camp the roof no longer stays up. However, in my case, when I crank it up there is no longer the clicking sound that it used to have. If I let go of the crank, the roof immediately falls. Any ideas?

7. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Stacy in AZ - Here's the Owner's Manual for the 2005 Fleetwood/Coleman PUPs in case you don't have one:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0273/4347/files/2005_owners_manual.pdf?13230720448029520186

In the "Crank-up/crank-down lift system" paragraph on page 16 it says, "A clicking sounds should always be audible while cranking the top up. If not, when the top is fully raised, lightly over-crank the handle to engage the clutch mechanism." If this does not work, then your drive hub extension (aka the "extension tube") may be over tightened and not allowing the crank mechanism from working properly.

As smit1088 suggests, watch his video (www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBkS9BWx-R0) to understand how your lift system works - and how to grease the whiffletree. At about 7:30 into the video is a good explanation of how the drive shaft and extension tube works.

shuang2 likes this.
  8. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    Also try the fix described in the manual for this problem, Crank all the way to the top and overcrank by 1/4 of turn. then lower and re-raise.

9. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Stillwater, MN
  10. rsizle

rsizle Member

Apr 17, 2014
    I had the same problem with my 05 fleetwood bayside earlier this season. It turned out that the threads on my extension tube were stripped, and I needed to replace the part. It took me a couple of hours - but its worked fine all year.

In the coleman / fleetwood system, the extension tube tightens down on a friction brake pad to hold the roof up. In my case, the threads being stripped meant that the whole system didn't work.

As for the OP's question: I'd agree with Smit1088 - a stuck or broken extension tube may also be the source of the problem. A contaminated friction brake pad could also produce the same symptoms - particularly if you sprayed WD-40 in the crank mechanism. That is a simple fix - though time-consuming as it requires the disassembly of the crank mechanism.

Whenever I had similar problems, I learned a lot by taking the back body panel off of the camper and seeing the crank mechanism more directly. I'd recommend that as a place to start.