Coleman/Fleetwood extension tube threads

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by magahoff, Apr 16, 2018.

1. magahoff

magahoff New Member

Sep 22, 2016
    northern cal
    Just got a 1994 Royale and getting it tuned up. The threads connecting the extension tube to the whiffle tree shaft seem to need cleaning up. When I go to lower the top, the extension tube doesn't easily back off from the ratchet clutch. The problem is I can't get a good fix on what the thread is. Seems to be about 5/8" diameter, but the 11 pitch doesn't seem to match. I don't want to force it and maybe make a mess of it. I haven't been able to find actual specs anywhere. Anybody know the answer?

2. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Greetings and welcome to the Portal from Colorado!

In case you haven't seen it, here's a great video about the Fleetwood/Coleman lift system: www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBkS9BWx-R0 At the start of the video you can see how to remove the extension tube and about half way through the video is an explanation of how the extension tube work.

And here's a link to the Parts Book for your PUP: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...0a6-8958-a9f2c9a42df4.pdf?6394506199849999463 You'll find the crank assembly on page 3.

According to the Part Book, you have a different type of nut holding the extension tube on, but the removal process should be the same. You need to remove the extension tube to inspect and clean up the threads that allow the extension tube to tighten and loosen on the shaft.

It has been reported here in the forums that previous owners have tack welded the extension tube in place because they didn't think it was working properly. Hopefully, yours isn't welded.

A common issue is people over tighten the extension tube when raising the roof and the extension tube then can't back off the sprocket when lowering. You might want to try applying moderate counterclockwise force to try to loosen it. You can also tap it with a rubber mallet.

magahoff likes this.
  3. magahoff

magahoff New Member

Sep 22, 2016
    northern cal
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the input and the welcome. I am actually familiar with most of these references, and understand how the system works. I have disassembled and cleaned up the clutch parts, so it works fairly well but seems too stiff when lowering. (As you say, Boatnman, a sharp rap on the crank helps disengage the clutch, but the extension still doesn't continue to back off; in fact, I don't even need the retaining nut at present) This seems to me to be due to the threads on the extension tube binding, so I would like to clean them up with tap and die. The hang-up is that I can't decide what the thread is. Both a 5/8" (11/inch pitch) and a 9/16" (12/inch) nut will thread onto the shaft about 1 1/2 turns before binding.
    I'm trying to get definitive info on the specified thread, so I can use the right dies for the clean-up.
    Thanks again: this is a great forum.

4. magahoff

magahoff New Member

Sep 22, 2016
    northern cal
    For those who are interested, I finally assured myself that the thread is in fact 5/8-11, so went ahead with running tap and die over the threads, so that issue is resolved. Another problem is that the spacer and spring in the extension tube will not come free. It will only move about 3/8" and that only with some force. I'm not sure free movement of that spacer is important enough to keep struggling with it. Maybe that flimsy flat spring got jammed between the side of the spacer and the wall of the tube?