Coleman Lantern - my winter project this year

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by thethird152, Dec 1, 2017.

1. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Mt Pleasant, MI
    Each year I try to line up a project to work on during the winter months (last year I refurbished an awning for my camper) when we do less camping. Now that we've relocated to MI, we will be doing zero camping during the winter, so I picked this up this afternoon. It's a Coleman 228H - apparently only manufactured in 1974. I got it for $25 from a friendly guy on Craigslist. He insists it works fine, but admits he has not lit it since 2013. It's a little dinged up and has some surface rust, but that's just fine by me, as I intend to spend all winter tinkering with this thing. I've read a bunch of tutorials and watched a bunch of videos, but imagine I will learn as I go.

The hardest part so far (I've owned it for all of 3 hours) is trying to find somewhere that will let me dispose of the fuel in the tank! Household hazardous waste doesn't get picked up until the spring. The local recycling facility will take motor oil but not fuel. I've heard mention of checking with an oil change shop to see if they'd take the fuel - will give that a try tomorrow. Although many maintain it won't hurt anything, I do not intend to add the fuel to my vehicle's fuel tank (I don't know what's actually in it, as I did not put it in there), and as much as I'd like to just use it to start a killer bonfire, we currently live in an apartment while we look for a house, so that option is out.

In any event, I know there are some folks here who are lantern enthusiasts, so if anyone wants to chime in with advice or comments, please feel free :)

Attached Files:

Katskamper likes this.
  2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Pour it out in a shallow pan and let it evaporate outside.

I have a literal pickup load of Coleman stoves, lanterns, and heaters. I can't stop carrying them home when they are cheap or a model I don't have.

3. thethird152

Feb 1, 2015
    Mt Pleasant, MI
    Thanks for the advice - I'm concerned about the neighbors complaining about the odor. For now, I've poured it into a mason jar and put a lid on it. I'll figure out what to do about it tomorrow.

I've got the globe soaking in hot soapy water currently - it has a really cloudy white spot that is being stubborn (I've read that this is sometimes caused by a mantel with a hole in it, and is irreversible), but I haven't given up hope yet. One piece at a time....

4. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    I have a lantern like yours that I bought that was still in the cardboard box and looked brand new. I couldn't pass it up for 15 bucks.

5. thethird152

Feb 1, 2015
    Mt Pleasant, MI
    Wow! That's a much better deal than I got! :)

6. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    I go to several big flea markets a year. I see a lot of Coleman liquid fuel gear and don't think I have ever seen any sell other than to me.

thethird152 likes this.
  7. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
  8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Why not pour the fuel into a shallow pan as suggested and burn it off ? or just pour it into one of the used motor oil jugs that has oil in it already.. Worse comes to worse, pour it into a lawnmower or snowblower gas tank..

9. thethird152

Feb 1, 2015
    Mt Pleasant, MI
    Thanks for the suggestions Snow. We currently live in an apartment, so burning it or letting it evaporate is out of the question (if I had a yard I would do exactly that). I don't currently own a lawnmower or a snowblower, plus, I'm not sure how old the fuel is (or that it's lantern fuel at all). No worries, I'll get it figured out.

10. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    I have 3 Coleman lanterns. Two of them I got as gifts within the last 2-3 years brand new. The 3rd one was my father in laws (1966 model 220F). I replaced the pump and generator on it and had to take it apart to clean the old fuel that went bad in it. I soaked most of the parts in hot soapy water and it worked wonders. I reassembled everything but did not repaint anything. I liked the way it looked with the old paint. The only thing that I added was an igniter. Made lighting it much easier and fit right into one of the holes. I don't use it much, really afraid of damaging it. My MIL gave it to our son as a gift. So it's sentimental! But it does work well! I did buy a hard plastic Coleman carrying case for it to protect it when not is use. Keeps all that dust out of it while in the garage.

thethird152 likes this.
  11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Pour it in a bottle and save it for fire starting fuel.. just be extremely careful of the fumes/vapours when you go to light it..

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I just bought 2 brand new, Coleman still in the box lanterns for $20.00 and a bunch of mantels were included. I gave one to a friend and one to my son. I have several from years past, including a couple of single mantel lanterns, I seldom if ever use them as I usually take candle lanterns on my canoe trips, less noise, I do not have to carry fuel in the canoe also I use the citronella candles as they help with the Fl. bugs.

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    I'm surprised the Florida bugs don't blow out the candles [:D]
    I know the NJ mosquitoes will pickup the lantern and carry it away!!!!!

14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Actually the skeeters are very few on the sandbars when I canoe camp, however do not go into the bushes for and reason or you will need a blood transfusion after a few minutes, but they are babies compared to those up north. And we do not have the black flies that are up north too, we do however have the love bugs whose only predator is the front of a vehicle :)

Orchid likes this.
  15. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I'm sure your mechanic can dispose of it in his waste oil tank. That little bit won't hurt.

16. thethird152

Feb 1, 2015
    Mt Pleasant, MI
    Well, I ended up letting the fuel settle in a mason jar for a few weeks while I worked on the lantern. I got everything reassembled yesterday and decided to use the fuel (it ended up working out fine - the time it sat in the jar gave all the particulates time to settle out) for the first test run :)

I've still got work to do on the lantern - the tank is going to need to be repainted (you can see the state of the paint in the photo - more of it flakes off every time I touch it), and there's still some spot cleaning I want to do, but at least I know it's functional!

Attached Files:

17. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    You can get away with painting the tank. Don't be tempted to try to paint the ventilator. The paint will burn off in no time.

18. Lanternman

Lanternman Active Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Mooresville NC
    Just found all these lantern threads haha. Did you ever get her up and running?

19. thethird152

Feb 1, 2015
    Mt Pleasant, MI
    Oh yeah, she's running like a champ (although I think there's a minor blockage in one of the jets, as I get some flickering from time to time, but only on one side) Picked up a second 228h for $5 last month so I have a set, and this one included a reflector in great condition. I've also expanded the collection with 4 other lanterns as well - these things are addictive. I'm not into the collecting for rarity, I just like having running lanterns. My detached garage does not have power or lights, so when I hang out in there it's by lantern light only.

You coming to the sewer this year? I'm making the trip down from Michigan, because it's really that much fun.

20. thethird152

Feb 1, 2015
    Mt Pleasant, MI
    Proof :)

Attached Files:

emoney likes this.