Coleman Mach 3 / Mach 3 Power Saver / Mach 15 AC unit?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by cfmx, Aug 15, 2012.

1. cfmx

cfmx New Member

Anyone using any of these units?
    We are thinking about replacing our current unit since its leaking oil before it stops working.
    I'm looking at Coleman Mach 3 13500 btu ($480) vs Coleman Mach 3 Power Saver 13500 btu ($630) or possibly Coleman Mach 15 15000 btu ($589).
    Anyone using a 15000 btu unit in their pup? Was wondering if that would be too much electric draw on our camper.

Here are the specs:

Mach 3 Plus - uses around 14Amps - World's best-selling RV air conditioner, with proven durability, reliability and long life. Starts easier in higher temperatures and humidity.The Coleman-Mach 3 PLUS is one of the best RV air conditioning values available. It features a large evaporator and condenser coils with raised lance fins to help dissipate heat, has a solid 13,500 nominal BTU cooling capacity, and delivers 320 CFM (cubic feet per minute) airflow. You can count on the Mach 3 PLUS for reliability. All-copper tubing and gas-flux brazed joints ensure durability and long life for your RV air conditioner. Add the optional Heater Assembly, and you.ll have 5,600 BTUs of heat for cool-weather outings.

Mach 3 PS (Power Saver) - uses around 10Amps - The Mach 3 P.S. is an air conditioner designed to use less power without sacrificing cooling performance. So you can stay cool and comfortable, using the power that's left over to enjoy more of the electrical appliances in your RV. When we designed the Mach 3 P.S., we had a very high standard of performance in mind: the RV world's most popular air conditioner, our Coleman-Mach 3 PLUS. The high-efficiency Mach 3 P.S. actually out cools our Mach 3 PLUS.

Mach 15 - uses around 16Amps-The Mach 15 is the world's most powerful RV air conditioner with the highest cooling output you can buy, and has an airflow so strong, it's a sure bet for ducted systems. The Mach 15 is equipped with a 1/3 hp fan motor, the largest used in an RV air conditioner, delivering cool air at an incredible 325 CFM (cubic feet per minute). The Mach 15. features the same streamlined shape that enhances the style and operational efficiency of every model in the line of Coleman-Mach RV air conditioners.

Live in Florida so it does get hot on those non-shaded sites. Although we do have Popup Gizmos for both bunk ends. [:D]

2. cfmx

cfmx New Member

Just order the Coleman Mach 15.

Took our old AC to a second person (this time an RV Mechanic) and he tested the unit. The compressor was only drawing 2 Amps when it should be drawing 14.

Now to finish the roof before the new AC unit arrives. [:D]

3. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

We live in south TX where it gets HOT and HUMID just like in FL. We have a Coleman Mach 15 on our 2008 Niagara and along with Gizmos and Reflectix inserts, the inside of the pup is nice and cool.

Most pup's have a 25 Amp converter and with the Mach 15 on along with some other things running at the same time might be an issue. Our Niagara has a 35 Amp converter and IIRC so does your Sequoia.

Our Niagara has never had a problem running a coffee maker or microwave, ect. while the AC is on.

4. cfmx

cfmx New Member

Great to know! Thanks for the response. We have the Gizmos but I'll have to look into Reflectix inserts. [;)]

5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

If you plug into 30A shore power, you are limited by that breaker at the post. The AC distribution in the PU limits each circuit by the PU breakers be it 20A or 15A.

The 12/25/35 etc rating on the 'converter' is the DC amps.

The Mach 15 needs a 20A 120v AC breaker, just like the 13K BTU models.

6. cfmx

cfmx New Member

The new AC unit arrived. The box wasn't damaged. The unit cover looked to be in great condition.
    When we removed the cover to install it on the pup roof we found a dent in the unit (top left) and what looks as if something scrapped the coils in the back. Almost as if something fell on the unit.
    Question is did it leave the factory this way??? So do you think this will cause any issues in the future? Not to happy about it.

[​IMG]

7. lawniz

lawniz New Member

though it wouldnt make me happy, it didnt do damage to it to affect its performance. but if it bugs you, send that baby back. they also make coil combs to run down and straighten those fins out, if you really want to.

8. pb940072

pb940072 New Member

The fin straightener would straighten the bent fins, but I wouldn't think it would straighten the bent condensor line...

Efficiency wise, I wouldn't think that there would be significant difference in efficiency because of the fin damage. What sticks-out in my mind, is whether there is significant damage to the condensor coil line to cause a refrigerant leak? It doesn't seem like there would be from your photo, but I'm certainly no expert. Perhaps you could spray a soapy solution on that area to make sure there are no leaks. If I am way off base here, hopefully other more knowledgeable will correct my statement...

Good luck.

9. cfmx

cfmx New Member

I haven't leak tested the unit. One thing different about this unit and our old one is the compressor isn't sitting completely vertical. Our old Coleman was.
    Anyone think this could be cause for concerns?
    [​IMG]

10. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

I think I would send it back...that's a big investment to accept anything less than 100%

one fish,two fish,I fish,you fish?

11. cfmx

cfmx New Member

I'm happy to say the online retailer is going to replace the AC with another AC unit. They are paying to ship it back and the shipping for the replacement. That makes me one happy campers!!! [:D]

Keeping fingers crossed new one arrives with no damage.

12. cfmx

cfmx New Member

New replacement arrived and it looks great! Was shipped via freight delivery vs FedEx.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Awesome! I'll be over to have it installed on my PUP very shortly.

Take pics of the fellows installing it.

14. cfmx

cfmx New Member

Got the AC installed today and its working great!
    I helped lift it up on the PUP along with my husband and father in law.
    Placed it on a towel and slid it into place.