Coleman Mach AC shroud bolts/screws

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Melissa71, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Melissa71

Melissa71 New Member

I made a hold-down bar to keep my AC shroud from dancing while I'm towing it. I got the bends exactly where I want them, and just need to drill out the holes, put in the bolts. after I repair the cracks in the shroud itself. Unfortunately the 2 screws in the front won't budge, but the ones in the back turn freely. Hence my really stupid/newbie question: The bolts in the front of the unit loosen/tighten the same as the ones in the back, right? Righty-tighty, left-loosey? Should I spray them with some PB Blaster?
    It's almost like the previous owners torqued the H*LL out of the screws, or used some glue in the hope that it would stop the shroud from moving. I just don't want to strip out the screws, so I figured I'd ask.

2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I've had some luck clamping Vise Grip pliers on screw heads to get them out.

3. Melissa71

Melissa71 New Member

Thank you, Twisty. I'll give that a try today. I guess if I can't get them to turn, I can go buy a screw extracting kit, like you'd use for broken/stripped screws.

4. arffch

arffch Member

"I guess if I can't get them to turn, I can go buy a screw extracting kit, like you'd use for broken/stripped screws."

Before the extractor kits became popular one would take a drill bit the size of the screw head and "drill the head off" then after the shroud is out of the way, vise grips and sauce of choice (pb/wd-40) . Good luck.

5. Melissa71

Melissa71 New Member

Thank you, Arffch! I never thought of that! That'll make it a lot easier. I just tried to get a good grip on the screw head, and it just won't budge.

6. Melissa71

Melissa71 New Member

I finally was able to remove all four bolts. The front left bolt's thread in connector (or whatever it's real name is) was loose, so as I turned the bolt the entire assembly would move. It was a good thing that the corner plastic was completely broken off, so I could remove the cover. I had to take apart the top and side of the metal housing of the ac unit, to get the connector and bolt off. I put a bolt with the threads poking up, so I could put washers, lock washers and nuts on it, to hold the shroud on. I then fixed the shroud with some fiber glass adhesive pads and 2 part epoxy.
    It's not the prettiest fix, but it's good enough. You don't see most of the patchwork from the ground. At least now, when I eventually replace the shroud, it'll be a piece of cake. I also put some screening across the vents, there were 2 wasp nests in there, and I'm hoping this will keep them out.