Coleman Niagra slidout won't stay latched

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by keithert, Mar 27, 2016.

1. keithert

keithert Member

Nov 11, 2009
    My 2000 Niagara takes a very firm push on the left side to get it closed enough to engage the latch. When I get it latched it will come unlatched presumably due to the bouncing around when driving. The previous owner told me to close the slide out last which I read is improper. I'll try to close it first but I'm not sure that will change the effectiveness of the locking mechanism. We have a trip coming up this week. What are some other fixes I can do temporarily? I've thought about putting a couple of ratchet straps around the entire camper vertically. I've also seen others use sliding bathroom door type latches. Another thought is bolting a dog leg bracket to the frame to not allow the slide out to come out. Not sure which method I will use. I'll first try to setup and camper and close it slide out first. If that doesn't work I'll have to use one of the other alternatives.

2. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    I know you have a Coleman, but in my Starcraft, you HAVE to put the slide out in first because it had the tracks the beds rolled in on!

But even if yours if different, get on your hands and knees and look under the slide from the inside. My one time problem was the porta toilet tube had rolled under the slide and behind the roller!!

Also, try youtube for a setup / take down video on your model. Or call the manufacturer even. Cust Svc these days seem to be smarter than the actual mechanics!!

Good luck!!

[:D]

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Had a similar problem with our Palomino, the after slide-out latch would bounce off the bracket all the time ... For the first 4 years we just used a strap like this.. wrapped around the pup to hold the slide-out in .. (across the top, down the slideout, under the floor and up the curb side..)

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratchet-Straps-Tie-Downs/Yellow-2-Snap-Hook-Ratchet-Straps/Ratchet-Strap-2-x-20-w-6k-Twisted-Snap-Hooks-Yellow-Web

I later discovered the flimsy bracket was actually 1/4 inch too short for the latch to catch... I added a larger piece of steel and solved the problem..

4. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    Snow has the right fix. I had a Niagara with the same problem. Flex in the frame would surpass the flip down bracket locks and jar the slide while in motion. Larger frame brackets is the answer to this issue.

5. keithert

keithert Member

Nov 11, 2009
    This morning I pulled the bunks and slide-out out and put the slide-out in first and then the bunks. The bunk slides do go through a rail in the slide-out but are not fixed into that rail. They are just sitting in it. But closed in this manner the slide out was much easier to latch. I also bent the slide-out side latches (the moving ones) slightly. The slide-out seems much better secured now. I may bring a strap with just in case.

6. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    I owned a 2000 Bayside Elite, basically the same camper as yours.... I'm not sure if you know this but after you unlatch your latches you have to twist them both 90 degrees. Only reason I'm saying that is previous owner never told me that, my wife actually discovered it on her own. made me feel like a dummy but at least it's secure. My 2001 Utah works exactly the same way. Sorry if you already knew this...

7. keithert

keithert Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Yea, I knew they twisted. Have you ever had any issues with yours?

8. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Issues ? With the camper or just the slide out ? I'm assuming you mean the slideout.... No real issues, I just try and make sure that when I push it in I try and keep it even... I did have a weird occurrence on our trip last week. Riding down the interstate another motorist motioned for me to pull over. My camper door had opened . It was closed but I hadn't secured the latch because I never imagined it would open on it's own with the roof down..... Surprise surprise....!!! I'll never do that again...

9. keithert

keithert Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Yes, I was asking about the slide out coming undone. Glad to hear that isn't happening on all of them. I think mine will be more secure now that I closed it differently.

10. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Its difficult to understand how your slideout became unlatched while driving if it was slid in all the way and latched properly. I know you have a trip coming up to Mamoth Cave in the near future so hopefully it will be a non issue by then.

11. Dad2futurecampers

Dad2futurecampers New Member

Sep 10, 2013
    I have had problems with latching the left side. Most of the time the latch would end up on the wrong side of the metal piece that supposed to keep it secure so it looks like it locked only to start separating out as soon as we pull out. Only thing that seems to work for us is having either my wife or I inside the pop up and pulling on the frame of the slide out while the other is outside pushing it in. That usually gets me the extra inch or so I need to get the left side in far enough to engage the latch.

12. keithert

keithert Member

Nov 11, 2009
    The latch ended up in front of the striker piece on both sides. The slide out didn't move much. Not like if I went around a curve it would slide out.

13. keithert

keithert Member

Nov 11, 2009
    On the trip to Kentucky it stayed latched.

14. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!! Don't you love it when a plan comes together!?

Good job! Happy Camping!!

[:D]

15. keithert

keithert Member

Nov 11, 2009
    On the way back it's been coming unlatched again.

16. myride

myride Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Wondering if he ever fixed the problem....mine has started doing the same thing...2004 Utah....