Coleman upper lift issues

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by Mac, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Mac

Mac New Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Hello to all. I am new here and I need help with my lift system. I bought a coleman pop up camper that is from the 80’s. I replaced an entire telescope stop with new cables. The lift system is really hard, I really hurt my hands trying to pop it up and when it was finally up the door didn’t fit. There were no room to install it. The roof was to low. I took the roof down again. Adjust the cables a little but when I tried to pop it up again it was horrible hard. The chain even skips sometimes What do I do? Help please!!!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  2. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    First thing I would check is the wiffle tree. Take off the cover plate and make sure that it is properly lubed up and that there is no debris in the way. It could be that something is preventing the screw in the wiffle tree from spinning, causing the chain to skip if you crank hard enough.

If that's all squared away, then inspect the crank assembly and chain. There are a few informative Youtube videos out there on both of these.

Mac likes this.
  3. Mac

Mac New Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Thanks. I already did that. The wiffle tree looks fine. No debris, well greased. What I noticed is that if I take the weight out of the lift system by placing some poles to hold the roof the chain goes like air, even my wife can crank it up, but if I take the wood poles and try to lift it up. I just can’t. When I bought it the guy that sold me the camper told me that somebody placed the AC on the roof. He said that it wasn’t there before. I am thinking that maybe is just too much weight however I remembered that before I replace the two cables, when I first bought it, it was going up without problems. What do you guys think?

4. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    If thats in working order, then I would follow the cables with no weight on them. Maybe a pulley is rusted to where it doesn't rotate? Both under the PU and in the lift arms as well? Maybe a cable slipped out of the pulley? Or a cable is rubbing up against something?

IDK... just throwing out ideas.

My roof is 14' with an AC so weight might not be the issue.

5. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    My chain developed a slip. Removing a link solved it.

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

When I first got my pup it was very hard to raise. After oiling all the pulley's, lift posts, whiffletree & replacing the drive hub my DW can raise it.

7. mv520

mv520 Member

May 2, 2010
    Based on what you said above, I'd next focus on on following all of the cables closely, their whole length including in the posts and look for a cable that has slipped off a pully, etc.

8. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Take a look at this video. It gives you a pretty good overview of how the lift system works:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBkS9BWx-R0

You should lube the pulleys with dry silicone rather than WD40. (WD also makes a dry silicone.)