Columbia Northwest introduces new line of PopUps

Discussion in 'RV Industry & Camping Related News' started by PopUpSteve, Sep 14, 2011.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    SOURCE: RV Daily Report

2. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Nov 16, 2006
    NC
    I just read this on another site. This is great news! It's great that someone is expanding their line of small trailers and using some Coleman employees to boot. And who knows what "we were able to take much of what made their campers such an industry-leader for so many years -- quality construction, simple set-up, and a strong dealer network -- and make it part of the Somerset line of camping trailers" means, but it will be interesting to find out.

3. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Great news great news!! Can't wait to see em!

4. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

Aug 15, 2010
    If anyone goes to the show please take pictures and post also let us know what lift system they use.

5. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I've seen a number of Aliners, and I know Columbia Northwest is a very competent, high quality manufacturer. Let's hope the quality of their a-frames is reflected in their canvas pups.

6. KazooCobalt

KazooCobalt New Member

Apr 2, 2007
    It's a strange world we live in....
    We've seen so many old line companies close up and younger companies pick up the slack.
    Ron & Mb

7. ken in md

ken in md New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Happy to see the Somerset factory resurrected - as a Coleman owner I am sorry to see the name go, but happy they will continue making popups. Might help insure ongoing parts availability for us coleman owners too.

Bravo!

8. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I don't think the new campers are being made at Coleman's old factory in Somerset, but rather at the Columbia Northwest plant in Kecksburg in Westmoreland County. I think the new name just honors the old Somerset factory, and hints that the new campers are similar to those produced there.

I think Blackstreet parted out the old Coleman Somerset plant and sold everything.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I think Travelhoveler is correct. They also hired some of the employees who used to work in Somerset. So far, Coleman has nothing to do with the situation. It will me interesting to see if Columbia Northwest ever does a name licensing agreement with Coleman.

10. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Here a first look at the new Somerset Camping Trailers at the Hershey RV Show. Will post moe details shortly.

Attached Files:

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    They certainly do look like the former Fleetwood/Colemans, don't they?

12. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Buddy of mine is on his way with his family to the Hershey show. I asked him to take some pics of these pups for me.

I am very happy that someone picked up the production of the "Coleman" pups. Looking at the pics above I see they are using what seems to be the same lift system. Would really like to take a look up close of these just out of curiosity!

I am assuming they picked up the patents for the "Coleman" pups??

13. KJcachers

KJcachers New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    sure looks like an E1 to me! Love it!

14. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Not sure about the patents.Coachmen is using the stepper door on the Clippers now and the one piece screen door.

15. jeicher

jeicher Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Living close to both CNW and the old “Coleman” factories and knowing some of the personnel, I am excited to see CNW’s new venture (especially since I own an Aliner). To me the pop-up is a good product fit for CNW especially with Forest River now taking a bite of an already small (A-Frame) market. CNW needs to improve market share and, in general, the pop-up does not compete with the Aliner series since the Aliner is much more of a travel trailer for two people. The pop-up is more of a family camping trailer that usually stays at the campground for many days (Of course there are exceptions. I encountered a family of four that had a modified Alite).

CNW did not buy the former Coleman factory although several of the key personnel now work for CNW. The Somerset trailers will be initially be produced at the present Aliner facility, so depending on production volume CNW could quickly run out of manufacturing space. At the Hershey RV show, former Coleman dealers were excited about the new Somerset Trailers, but don’t look for them at the dealer showroom until at least spring of 2012.

As far as it being a “Coleman” trailer, these trailers have not really been a Coleman product since Sheldon Coleman sold the plant to Fleetwood many years ago. Fleetwood and subsequently Blackstreet had total control of the product. Like most Coleman products, except gasoline lanterns and coolers, the products are name only with a royalty being paid to Coleman Inc. In the case of the trailers it cost hundreds of dollars each for just the Coleman name and this money could be better spent directly on the product. It was the dedicated employees, not the Coleman name that made it a good product despite many cost cutting measures made by the “bean counter” management.

My hope is the new CNW venture will go well and give CNW much better volume buying power and many more dealers. This in turn can also benefit the Aliner product line in many ways.

Brochure
    http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj205/gheicher/Somerset%20PUP/Somerset1.jpg
    http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj205/gheicher/Somerset%20PUP/Somerset2.jpg

16. stp1971

stp1971 New Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Talked to a fellow today about the new Somerset line. Looking forward to the T14 version of the Niagra. Going to the RV and Camping show this weekend in Atlanta and hoping to check out the prototypes.

17. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

STP1971 .... what was the result of your trip to Atlanta to see the new Columbia NW campers?