Compost toilet

Discussion in 'Camping Green' started by tomaura, Mar 1, 2018.

1. tomaura

tomaura New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    I know nothing about pop-ups. I did a 5th wheel for 2 years so this is a new adventure. I want to do a simple compost toilet in the pop up for nights and emergencies and I know nothing about compost toilets... smell, upkeep....I literally want a bucket and a seat, nothing fancy... any words of wisdom?

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The DW and I have the Luggable Loo. It's a toilet seat that fits on a 5 gallon bucket. They do sell bags that are meant to help with the odor but we just use strong trash bags with a little lime in the bottom and sprinkle on more after use and throw it out in the morning. Some folks use kitty litter I think it is much more expencive than a bag of lime and they tend to use more material. The if lid is closed when dont in use the smell is contained in bucket. It is cheap, effective & very easy to maintain.

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    The DW and I talked about something simple like the Luggable Loo but decided to get THIS instead.

Reason - Good reputation to keep smells away, you don't have to bag it up after every use and fairly easy disposal.

4. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    I’ve used the luggable loo which was OK, but there was some odor, even with line or cat litter so I used a shower tent outside to store it in (did not keep in camper). Eventually, I upgraded to this:
    https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...MI5ZC-hMnL2QIVy5F-Ch3Xsg3IEAAYASAAEgKCZ_D_BwE

There are youtube rv videos on composting toilets (mostly in larger rv’s), too much of s hassle for me in my PUP. I really like the Thetford curve, so easy and no smells.

Orchid likes this.
  5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I haven't used mine yet. Do you transport it with the liquids or do you fill/dump it at the campsite?

6. gardenbliss

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    It depends on if I'm boon docking or at a campsite that has water available. If boon docking, I drive with water in the tank.

Orchid likes this.
  7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I agree with getting a chemical toilet and forgetting about anything related to composting. Those are pricey & high maintenance. Thetford Curve is top of the line in chemical toilets, but we used a generic version of one of these toilets for 10-15 years with no problems. This is what ours looks like, although ours is not Camco, just some no-name brand.

They all work basically the same and are essentially cassette toilets that are not built in. You use the same exact chemicals that you use in any RV toilet. There is no smell, no maintenance, and very easy to empty. Just dump at a dump station as you would a cassette or RV black tank. Nothing gross, the chemicals dissolve everything and it comes out like water with air freshener added.

If you are camping at a place where no water is available, it's no problem. Just fill up the clean water tank in it prior to leaving home.

8. gardenbliss

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    and keep checking Amazon. We got our Thetford curve last year for $60. For some reason, they temporarily reduced the price for a while.

9. gardenbliss

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    Oops, I meant $85.00 ($60 seemed to good to be true, so I looked up my Amazon history)

10. JWeible

JWeible Member

May 11, 2015
    We use the luggable loo. We put a small garbage bag and kitty litter in ours but may try lime this year. We have two adults and two children using it. We use the campgrounds restrooms doing the day and the bucket overnight for pee only. We pull the bag each morning and throw that away. We store the bucket outside under one of the beds during the day. Haven’t ever noticed any smell once the bag is tossed.

11. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Anything with a garbage bag doesn't really count as "green" though. (I'm assuming being green is why someone would post about a composting potty on the "Camping Green" section.)

I'd use a portapotty with biodegradable treatments instead. Like Gardenbliss says, composting toilets are kind of involved. Does anyone know if they work on a part time basis? If you have to start up the microbial action every time you go camping, it might only be practical full full-timers.

12. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    we use the same potty as bikeNfish. so easy! also, keep in mind you can use "clean" grey water to flush, even more water conservation. you can fill up an empty milk jug from a dish pan or fill the tank in the toilet. It is so easy to dispose of the waste responsibly. If you don't put paper or chemical in the potty, especially. If we have a vault toilet close, it is so easy to disconnect and dump. depending on where we are camped, (middle of nowhere dispersed) it is even acceptable to dig a hole. If you empty daily, you can skip the chemical while using this way. Otherwise, use an environmentally friendly toilet chemical and find a nearby toilet to dump. we have black and grey water tanks in our rialta RV and dump stations for RVs are becoming harder and harder to find unless you are staying at a pay campsite. so I really like the portable potty.