Concerned about tongue weight.

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by WinHac, Jul 9, 2018 at 10:47 AM.

1. WinHac

WinHac New Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Hello,

I have a 1994 Metorite Starcraft popup 1140lbs on spec. I removed the battery and propane tank from the tongue as I do not need them. Have I made the tongue weight too light now? Will I be ok if I just pack everything forward or do I need to add weight to the tongue? Any suggestion on how to do that if so? I got a side swivel jack so it be hard to mount a tongue box. Im getting an antisway bar installed. I don't have experience towing this or anything. Just looking to make this safe. Thanks.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The only way to really find out is load the trailer for travel and weigh it, then weigh just the tongue.

3. WinHac

WinHac New Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Am I just stressing too much about it? Do people just load their trailer evenly and not worry about it? Can I just use this method to make sure the trailer hitch is one inch lower when loaded? or does that not apply here?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018 at 11:14 AM
  4. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The best thing to do would be to load as you plan to for a trip and take a drive. Does it bounce a lot? Does it sway? When I first got my pup I put all of the gear in the truck and drove off. I found that it was bouncing quite a bit so I moved a bit of gear to the trailer. Then the next trip I moved some weight forward to stabilize the load a bit better. There was nothing unsafe about the way I was towing but shifting the load around definitely improved the quality of the experience. After a few trip you should have a nice balance for your situation.

friartuck likes this.
  5. WinHac

WinHac New Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Moved weight forward in the camper or you moved the weight from your camper to the tow vehicle to stabilize it? You did that to minimize some sway you were noticing?

6. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    That is a small, light weight trailer. Tongue weight should be 10 - 15% of the trailer weight. With a sway bar you really shouldn't have any trouble at all. (Just remember to remove the sway bar BEFORE you try to back up ;-) )
    I think JR means they moved weight from the truck to the camper, then moved some of the same weight to the front of the camper.
    Sway is side to side, bounce is up and down. The lighter the trailer, any trailer, the more it can bounce.
    Good luck! You should be just fine, take a drive and see how it handles.

7. WinHac

WinHac New Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Thanks for the advice! I'll do that test run then make any adjustments.

friartuck likes this.
  8. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Moved weight forward in the camper. Specifically I found putting the cooler inside and forward gave the right sweet spot.

WinHac likes this.