Condensation while closed

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by arge, Jul 13, 2019 at 4:37 PM.

1. arge

arge Member

So, I am getting a tons of condensation while closed. There is no leak. Condensation from the ceiling fan trap door. It is pouring down and getting water while opening the bunk.
    The bad thing is after I neglected dealing with this, I got quite some mold stains in that bunk.
    Did anyone had this issue? Condensation while closed I stress, there is no leak, so don't get me there. I have seen the water drops on the inside face of the door
    I know there are some insulated fan coverings. Any opinions? any other ideas?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

That is a huge amount of condensation, if it is "pouring", especially if it's localized. Where is is parked, what is the climate, relative humidity?
    I would not discount the fact there may be a leak - how have you determined that it is not an issue? Does the condensation only happen while closed? What happens when it rains?
    We had a sneaky leak on the first replacement vent we had in our first pup (no fan). We knew the butyl tape and sealant were in good shape, they were brand new. I ended up having to stare at if from different angles, and it turned out to be leaking around one of the rivets on the opening mechanism, we never could see the actual space or hole it was leaking through.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

The moisture has to be in there already. You need to find out why and how.

kitphantom likes this.
  4. arge

arge Member

Alberta, calgary. Nights can go low 40's, day time 70-80, humidity 60-70%.
    Let,s put it in this way. You have a pot of boiling water on a stove. You cover it with a lid. You get water condensed under the lid. You can see it that's from condensation, just round drops, in pattern.
    That's what I have on the fan lid.

It is a good point, maybe there is a different point of entry and is condensing there.

5. arge

arge Member

I haven't noticed any issues during the rains

6. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Do you cover your pup? If it's not a leak, then try leaving a bucket of damp-rid in the camper. It draws moisture out of the air and really makes my camper very dry. It may combat humidity in that small space. I don't have a fan like yours, though.

7. arge

arge Member

nope, I don't use any cover. I will try the damp-rid, thank you