Condensation

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by jacrabbitt, Oct 24, 2016.

1. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Michigan
    Last weekend we made the last trip for the season. When got up Sun morn I noticed the bunk end was sweating like a Prom Queen in the back seat of a 65 Impala. So run my hand across the entire ceiling it was dry. Just the bunk end was damp. Temp was about 40 outside and I had the furnace on during the nite/morn. Here's the skinny. Is it okay to towel dry the end ? I plugged the portable light/ fan and run the fan that helped some. Opened the unit up when I got home and let it air. Advice appr.
    One other item I popped the cork on the hot water tank and blew the water lines out with 65 psi compressed air poured anti freeze into the traps and some down the Black water tank after I drained Grey and black. My question is do I need to put Anti into the potable tank and run the 12 volt pump? If so how much anti? Do I leave the cork out of the hot water tank or close it up? I don't run water thru the potable water tank and run the 12 volt on demand pump. Just use city hook up.

Attached Files:

2. bikendan

bikendan Member

Feb 26, 2012
    are you using Popup Gizmos or solar blankets on the tent ends?
    they help a lot with condensation.
    also, keep a roof vent cracked open along with a tent end window open a bit.

to eliminate condensation, you need air flow.

3. daveo1289

daveo1289 Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Rochester NY
    Ok. I'll tell you what works for us. During the nights in early spring and fall, we have a small electric heater going to supplement the furnace and keep the air moving in the camper. It sits on the counter or stove and does not blow in any particular direction. Just warm air movement. We do keep the top of the flaps open slightly also. We never have had any condensation in either bunkend.

As far as the waterline winterizing. The pump will still have water in it even after blowing out the lines. The best thing to do it pump the anti-freeze through the entire system but not the clean water tank. Too much flushing in the spring. If your unit has a siphon system attached to the pump, that's where you'll hook to the bottle of anti-freeze. Just run the pump and open each handle, cold and hot until you see pink come through.

I leave the plug out of the water heater and flush it real good in the spring.

Hope this helps.

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    If you have separate heating and cooling and are using electric hookups, run the heat and air together. The AC will dry the air. I did this in my Apache.

5. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    Towel drying the end won't hurt anything, but you should still open it up at home and let it air out. Unless it had time to air out at the CG. I crack opposite corners of the bunk ends and that seems to keep the condensation at bay. I don't like to open the roof vent because then all the warm air goes right out the top.

6. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

Oct 6, 2013
  7. fastdixie

fastdixie Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Definitely made our bunk comfortable. Don't have enough experience to comment on any condensation issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. bikendan

bikendan Member

Feb 26, 2012
    doubt if they'll help with condensation, since air movement is key to preventing it. there's no way air can move between the mattress and the rubber mats. it's no different than the bunk door surface.

9. MissLou

MissLou Member

Jan 1, 2003
    No matter how much ventilation we had in our hybrid, using fans or heaters, whatever - we had a condensation issue. There was always condensation under the mattress and sometimes on the bunkends. We had "raindrops" one humid damp night after cooking inside. We never had a problem in our popups and don't in our TT but that hybrid was a pain.

10. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Mar 10, 2009
    Hopkinton, MA
  11. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Mar 10, 2009
    Hopkinton, MA
    Well the Defender does a great job keeping it dry under the mattress but it made it much worse above as the canvas was dripping and had water drops everywhere during our trip to the UP last week. This was with the flaps down a few inches and the vent cracked. I never had this problem on any of our 3 popups. Guess I'll order the PUGs and hope they help, but I don't like having to use them to avoid this.

12. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    ruby alvarez likes this.
  13. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Virginia
    I kept asking the wife if I could buy these and she kept tlling me that we didn't need them. So one day, I didn't ask, I just bought them anyway. We had the condensation problem, but since I have used these pads, I have not had any condensation. They seemed to help, and even if they prove not to in the future, I firmly believe they help with heat loss through the bottom of the bunk. I don't think I threw away the $$$, and, even if I am proven wrong in the future, I bought them on sale from Harbor Freight!!!

14. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

Mar 16, 2016
    I'm a little curious / confused about all these condensation issues in hybrids and this is not the first thread I see on this topic. I've had mine for 2 seasons now, and we camped in various weather conditions including rain (lots and lots of it this season!), hot humid summer days, and early spring and late fall where night time temperatures were around or slightly below freezing and the days were warm. We never experienced condensation to the degree described here or in other threads! I mean we do get some fog on the windows and skylights, but that's about it, no water dripping from the tent ends or condensation under the mattress.
    I do leave the bathroom vent slightly open and windows cracked open a little bit at night which seems like everyone reporting this problem does as well. I don't use PUGs but I did put in reflectix behind the canvass flaps (between the mosquito mesh and flap) and found this helps retain heat and reduce drafts, it also helps keep water off the canvass during rain.

Do you guys keep the furnace cranked which could possibly introduce the condensation due to large temp variations? I only run the furnace to take the chill off, setting it to 60F or so and then use electric blankets under our sleeping bags if we expect really cold weather.
    Maybe because my trailer is 13 years old it's not as air tight as the newer models so the extra air exchange helps! lol :)

15. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Virginia
    When I had the condensation issue, I didnt have anything under the mattress and had all of the wondows shut. I eas told to leave the roof vent open just a little, and that seemed to help. When I did have the condensation issue, there was droplets all over the inside of the tents... and I made the mistake of bumping it while trying to get out of bed. Yeah, that was fun!!!!

16. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    Those look like they might be the real deal. Thanks for the info!