Confused if I need a sway control kit

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Fischymom, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Fischymom

Fischymom Active Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Ok from what I gather I don't "need" a sway control kit for pulling my Coleman Williamsburg with my Chevy HD 2500 Diesel pickup. But we are going to be taking it for it's longest pull yet and going about 6 hours away into the badlands of South Dakota. I guess my question is for less than $50 does it provide security so that you have one less thing to worry about? We can do the wielding at home or where I work so attaching it isn't an issue.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Only if you need it. I don't get any sway.

3. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    If you can get it all set up at home for fifty bucks, I see no reason to not do it just to have it along in case you find that you do need it.

4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    Probably a waste of $50. Also doesn't it mess up backing up ?

5. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    This year I'm into my 2001 Tahoe pulling a 25ft TT with weight dist hitch. This setup is awesome. I'm not even hooking up the sway control bar to it and probably won't bring along. This is 7500 lbs of stuff being pulled north of Duluth, hills and wind and all that fun.

So I don't know if you'd need it on a pup, pulling level and not overloaded. Stay another night camping on President Grant, IMHO

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

You absolutely don't need it. Even if you buy one, you only need it on one side on a pup. If you do put one on, remember to disconnect it when backing.

The only situation where it may be of benefit is if there were some kind of emergency situation, where someone cut you off or something and you swerve. It would serve to keep the trailer from swaying out of control.

As someone here once said, "You don't need it until you need it."

myride and J Starsky like this.
  7. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    I'm always confused when the sway thing is brought up, and maybe it depends on the type of camper, but I have towed my camper for at least 40K miles and it has never swayed. I suppose you could induce it with grossly improper loading, but more pop ups don't allow for much storage in the rear of the camper.

8. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

To those that you say you absolutely don't need an anti-sway friction bar....you are wrong. Coleman/Fleetwood campers made in the late 90's early 2000's had a design flaw that made them sway for little reason. The most notable model was the Bayside Elite commonly referred to as the Swayside. Other models such as the Williamsburg, Niagara and Utah had the same issue although not quite as bad.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Lol. I will try mine at the end of August both ways, with and without arm and report back.

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I cannot recommend a sway bar either way, it depends on the unit, some sway some don't also how they are loaded makes a difference. You know your PUP and also know if it has a tendency to sway. As Orchid stated if you do be sure and remove it prior to backing up.

11. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Pop up being pulled by a 7K lb diesel truck, no I wouldn't worry about sway control.
    You're probably pulling less than 25% of the rated capacity.

What year is the truck? It may have anti sway built in.

xxxapache likes this.
  12. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I never take mine off when backing up.

13. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

Nov 30, 2014
    If you've towed your trailer at freeway speeds before and not had any sway, then you may not need it - even on a longer tow. If you've felt it swaying before, then a friction bar (anti-sway) is cheap comfort.
    We have a Bayside (swayside) and use ours every time we tow - it makes a difference.

14. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Tennessee
    My Toyota owners manual says sway bar is required if towing over 2000 lbs.

15. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I'm not getting involved with this one. Lol.

jnc likes this.
  16. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Sissy

Sjm9911 likes this.