Confusion on my Four Winds camper

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by Jim1957, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Jim1957

Jim1957 New Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Last year we decided to get back into camping and bought a 2003 Four Winds model F21C pop up camper. Needed some minor repairs but a decent camper. I tried to do some research for manuals etc. but found little information on Four Winds...I was able to find manuals/schematics etc. on the appliances etc. so no biggee and most other parts like bearings etc are no big deal either. But I need to eventually replace the cord on it and supposedly these are brand specific, Dutchmen, Jayco Coleman etc.. There was a THOR tag on the camper so I contacted them...no help even with the Vin#. I assume THOR has purchased a number of manufacturers, from what I have found. I did find a pc of literature from 2003 that had Four Winds products, but no pop ups. And it was listed as Dutchman. Would a cord from a Durchman work? Any help appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Are you talking about the 30 amp power cord? If so those are not brand specific - they are all the same. Cheapest I think to just get an extension cord, lop the other end off and rewire. I put a park power quick detach unit on mine, and the cord simply comes into the power center, is secured by some clamps and then screwed to the terminals. Easy fix.

3. Jim1957

Jim1957 New Member

Mar 28, 2018
    No, the 6 way cord on the hitch. I always thought they were all the same but when I looked into buying one it listed them as brand specific. Mine is usable but has been hacked up a bit.

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I think if you already know the wiring has been messed with and you can handle the work Why not wire in something that is easy to replace.

5. Sneezer

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    OK. Does yours have a connector on the tongue, and then the plug that goes into the vehicle? On my Jayco I have a socket on the side of the tongue that the tow wire goes into, and then the larger one that plugs into my hitch. I did have to replace the plug once, which was pretty easy. The wires themselves were decent enough so I re-wrapped the whole thing with electrical tape, has been fine ever since, about 2 years now.

6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    Use whatever matches what you have on the TV. If you're going new on the TV you might as well go with the 7 pin round bargman as it's the most commonly used for rvs now days.

7. Jim1957

Jim1957 New Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Sorry folks, I seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot here....I am more interested in figuring out wo made this camper, if that makes any sense. I have been in the electrical industry for 39 years and have already rewired some of the campers interior and some on the hitch. The cord from the tongue to the tow vehicle is a bit ragged up...I had read that a replacement cable was brand specific and it dawned on me that I am not sure WHO made this,,,i know it has THOR on it, and a model number....but would anyone that has one of these know if it was a Dutchmen etc? The only thing I found online was something that indicated that. Maybe it is not important though....Just puzzling I cant find ANY reference to this camper anywhere online. I like the idea on the 7 pin connector as my pickup has that as well as a 4 pin. The camper has a 6 pin recessed opening on the hitch with a 4 pin maile on the other end. My Blazer has a 4 pin only.

8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_Industries

Four Winds is a subsidiary of Thor Industries. but it only makes class A and C motorhomes. Thor probably slapped the decal on a few Dutchman pups to see if there was an "upper market" for popups.

9. Jim1957

Jim1957 New Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Makes sense....I found a 2003 brochure for four winds but no pop ups. I thought the model number (F21C) would help...but no. Thanks!

10. Sneezer

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Four winds started out making slide in truck campers I think. Pretty sure they were a small player no matter what.