considering options for new axle, hubs, brakes and wheels

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by DirtyBacon, Sep 20, 2018.

1. DirtyBacon

DirtyBacon New Member

Sep 20, 2018
    We just purchased a used 2007 Fleetwood Westlake. As I was inspecting it prior to purchase I found the axle was bent on one side. I negotiated a discount and carried on. I am considering replacing the axle and two of the three tires need to be replaced due to age. This got me thinking, if I'm replacing the axle I don't need to stick to the same hub and wheels. I should consider all of this together before doing anything with it.

My wife did some research that suggested we should buy tires that can carry an additional 1000lbs above dry weight. It seems like most 175/80 13 tires are load rated at 1360lbs which I think puts us at 500lbs above dry weight which really isn't very much considering everything we could load up on it.

Given that I am likely to replace the axle and need new tires, is there an axle/hub/brake/wheel combination that you would recommend for this camper? I'm kind of a newbie to all of this, but I'm not scared of doing the work myself. Thanks in advance!

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    What size (weight capacity) axle is under the pup now? What size tire, what is the wheel? 4 X 4 or a 5 X 4 bolt pattern. Does the current axle have brakes? Maybe upgrade to a 3500b axle combo.???

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Your Westlake should have a 3500 lb axle with 10 inch electric brakes from the factory.

4. DirtyBacon

DirtyBacon New Member

Sep 20, 2018
    As far as I know, it's the stock axle and wheels. It does have electric brakes. The wheels are 175/80D13. So the only limiting factor for total weight is the tire load rating of 1360lbs. I haven't found any at that size that are higher. Thoughts for increasing total weight capacity?

@Raycfe, do you know the exact axle model so I can get the same one to replace it? It seems the bend in it is causing a tow in type of tire wear and it seems to happen quickly by looking at the one tire on the bent side of the axle.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    The only thing you need to know is the over all length and where the center line of the spring perch’s are. For tires go to ST185R13 radials.

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

If you are towing with a Pickup truck or planning to go off pavement This is the time to consider doing an axle flip.

7. DirtyBacon

DirtyBacon New Member

Sep 20, 2018
    To make sure I understand the ST185R13 suggestion it's to put slightly wider tires on the existing rims, right? I know there is some flexibility on the size of tire for the rim size. I think that's probably what we want to do. Just confirming. Thanks!

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Yep.