Converting Fresh Water Holding Tank to Gray Water Tank

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by JeremyViking, Sep 7, 2018.

1. JeremyViking

JeremyViking New Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Hey Everyone, I have a 2011 Viking Epic 1906st that I’m going to be remodeling this fall/winter. I had a crazy idea and wanted to see if it has been done before. I’m not a boondocker, so we will probably never use our fresh water tank. Could I convert the existing tank to a gray water tank? I would probably need to have the drain run out under the pup (like on a traditional travel trailer). I want it to be able to hookup to a sewer hose for full hookup or dump station with a valve to close it if I am not at a full hookup. Thoughts? Warnings? Advice?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I'm assuming this is so you can use a toilet ? I never done it but thought about something simmiler. I was thinking of something like a modern tolet hooked into the sewer conection. I'm sure people have done it! Keep us updated on how it works out.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Adapting the dumping drain to the fresh water tank will not be easy.

4. JeremyViking

JeremyViking New Member

Sep 7, 2018
    I was thinking for the gray water from the sink, just so I don’t have a bottle or tank sitting outside the pup for the water to go. I have a stand alone toilet with a 5 gallon removable tank that’s been simple enough to dump.

5. JeremyViking

JeremyViking New Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Yeah, that’s my concern, but do you think it’s doable? Obviously I could just buy a separate tank and install it, but just seeing if this is even plausible.

6. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    No reason why you couldn’t. I’d recommend removing it to install your plumbing because odds are the current drain is on the wrong side if it’s like my 2108. Shouldn’t be an issue to turn it around just make sure you leave yourself travel clearance for ur dump valve

7. JeremyViking

JeremyViking New Member

Sep 7, 2018
    I looked at it today. I should’ve taken a pic, but now the camper is down, so I can’t get one. The current inlet is on the side toward the top. I’ve thought about capping that and fitting the drain through the bottom since it will need to be bigger anyways. I could maybe even use the current inlet in some way as a vent to combat drainage problems like I have now.

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    If using a full hook up sight with sewer, there is no need for a gray water tank. Just hook it up directly?

9. JeremyViking

JeremyViking New Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Right, but the tank would be for when I don’t have the sewer hookup, and would need to use the dump station. This is all just for personal comfort and ease (minus the initial work to install). Ha

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    What will you do if you visit State or Provincial Parks that only offer electrical hook ups ? You"ll want the water tank then ..

11. JeremyViking

JeremyViking New Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Good question. Honestly, we probably won’t go there. If I do though, I’d probably carry water jugs. My reasoning for wanting to do this is because I do not see the fresh water tank being a necessity, but I’d like the convenience of an onboard gray water tank. Thanks for the question!

12. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I was thinking about the drain side where I’m guessing you’ll put the actual drain itself by just making that hole bigger?

You definitely want to at least consider the possibility of how does it affect it when it’s time to sell it? I think most prospective buyers would prefer the water carrying capability over the on board gray tank since it’s much easier to use a portable version of that. Out of curiosity since the work load is basically the same and the cost not that much different, why not add the extra gray?

13. JeremyViking

JeremyViking New Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Good point about the resell. As far as adding a separate gray tank. Space is my main issue. There are five of us in the pup. I need as much space as possible. I’m not sure if there is enough clearance underneath to put it there either.

14. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    You know even if you only found room for say a 10-12 gal tank underneath in the end you’d be better having a smaller gray than no water

15. JeremyViking

JeremyViking New Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Good point. I’ll research placement of it.

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Not sure where your from, but I havvve only been to 2 State parks (1 in k.Y., 1 in T.N) and 1 Provincial park (O.N) that offered water hook-ups.. As mentioned, might be wise to try and fit a smaller grey tank and retain the water tank. Maybe even remove the current water tank and replace with two smaller tanks, one for water one for grey water..

17. JeremyViking

JeremyViking New Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Another idea to mull over. I’m in Alabama. We just returned from a state park in Birmingham that had full hookups. I’m sure there are plenty that don’t, which we would probably avoid just out of preference. But you make a good point if ever the need does arise. Thanks!