Converting grill to low pressure

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by eprovenzano, Mar 3, 2017.

1. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

Oct 6, 2013
    I'm looking at converting my portable gas grill from high pressure to low pressure. I'd like to be able to utilize the quick connection on the camper instead of using the 1 lbs, bottles. Based on some google research, I've found my grill (which utilizes the 1 lbs. bottles) takes the incoming high pressure and reduces it via a regulator that's built into the high to low dial controller. I've found a replacement dial controller without the regulator, which also has a quick disconnect (Camco 57274 LP Gas Control Valve W/Quick Connect https://www.rvupgradestore.com/LP-Gas-Control-V…/06-1150.htm). I'll also need a to purchase a hose with quick disconnects and a built in shutoff valve (Camco 57282 10' Propane Quick Connect Hose https://www.rvupgradestore.com/10-RV-Propane-Qu…/06-0108.htm) to connect the grill to the camper. With this setup, I hope to be able to tap into the propane system on my camper, vs carrying the bottles.

My question / has anyone done this... does it work? Also can someone please confirm the quick disconnect needed to connect to the trailer is the male adapter. With the items I've listed above, the controller would replace the current one in my grill, thus eliminating the regulator, and the hose should connect the grill to the camper. If this works as I hope... I'll free myself from having to carry the 1 lbs. bottles and only worry about one source of propane.

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    We are using the COLEMAN ROAD TRIP grill setup that uses the 1lb canisters...

I really don't mind having to use the 1lb canisters as my backup heat source being the MR BUDDY Heater uses them as well... Always have two or three twin packs on-hand. These are carried by Walmart and Lowes so readily available just about anywhere we go...

Being old school I still carry some white gas for a couple of tree lanterns... Always liked the idea of having a couple of lanterns burning on low all night on both ends of the camp site so that if any thing walks between them and my POPUP trailer it will cast a moving shadow... Comes from being an avid tent camper back in the 60s and 70s haha...

Roy Ken

3. Novarich

Novarich Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Perhaps you might want to just go this route. Put the tee between your 20 lb bottle and your regulator.

Attached Files:

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Keep in mind the jets in the stove are designed for a certain pressure.

5. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Mar 21, 2004
    Adamsville, MI
    In the past, I have looked up online the inches Hg of each and it is fine to remove the regulator on my Weber grill, if I were to use the regulated/low pressure downstream of the the camper regulator - I found the specs of my Weber regulator online and confirmed it. That being said, my newer hybrid did not have the low pressure outlet, so I kept the Weber regulator on, and just run the hose off the 2nd LP tank.

6. mrobuck

mrobuck New Member

Feb 2, 2017
    I was looking to make this same conversion last year, but by the time I planned and priced it out, it seemed easier and cheap to find a low pressure grill on craigslist. (I got ours for $35)

I can't find our exact model online but it is similar to these: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/sidekick-grill/54869
    http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/low-pressure-gas-grill/90198

(ours is a camco w/out the temp gauge)

Even new the prices aren't too bad, but possilbe to get a nicer one on craigslist for cheaper.

I also went ahead and added a T to my propane line and now have dual quick connects that I can have both the grill and stoves running at same time when necessary. Helps with getting a full dinner ready.

The big "gotcha" I ran into, was making certain I had the correct quick connects for the grill itself. Took a couple trips to the hardware store to get that right, so just be mindful of that.

7. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Thanks for the tip... I will look for a low pressure grill