Converting to "normal" wheels and tires?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by GatorChamp44, May 24, 2018.

1. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Member

Mar 16, 2017
    I was wondering what would be involved to transition the pup from ST wheels and tires to "normal" small car tires. Not that I want to tow at 80 mph but would like to not have to worry about breaking 60 mph when towing. I always feel like I have to give the tires and wheels a break every few hours when driving. Maybe I'm just paranoid but the wheels and tires are always warm when I stop. Never hot but warmer than the TV tires. I know that is somewhat normal but is there anything I should do differently? My pup has electric brakes if that matters. I'm assuming the answer to the conversion question would be an entire new axle and other way too costly/time consuming things to make this worth it.

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The most common way is to "flip the axle" and change the Hubs from 4 to 5 studs.

3. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    Trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls then passenger car tires to handle the load stresses and really should not be used interchangeably. As jnc said, flipping the axle will allow you to use larger trailer tires, which *should* give you a higher speed rating (you may have to go to 15" tires to get over 65mph rating). You never want to exceed the speed rating of your tires anyway. Safety first!
    Keep the tires inflated to the proper pressure and lube the bearings and you should be just fine.

soft 17 and bols2Dawall like this.
  4. dak2

dak2 Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Kenda Loadstar 185/80D LRD are now rated at 1710 lbs and a 81MPH
    check recstuff.com for tires

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    friartuck likes this.
  5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Carlise also has higher speed tires. I have Radial RH on my TT. They are rated for 87 mph.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Normal passenger tires on a trailer are a no no in many States and Provinces.. Here (Ontario) having those on a trailer will get the plates taken away and a fine plus towing costs..

best you can do is get ST tires that have the 70mph speed rating OR upgrade things so you can fit LT tires..

7. CampStewart

CampStewart Member

Nov 3, 2017
    OP what size are your current tires? Are you willing to go to the time and expense of raising the trailer if necessary to fit larger car or LT tires?

8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    jnc likes this.
  9. hq308

hq308 Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    I just went through a similar process with mine, converted from 10" diameter 4 stud wheels to 13" diameter 5 std wheels. For me it was just a matter of working out what type/size bearings were in the 4 stud hubs and buying new 5 stud hubs that use the same wheel bearings. I didn't need to flip the axle as I have enough room for the bigger tyres, your mileage may vary.

10. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

Mar 7, 2018
    You can replace the bias ply tires with trailer radial tires. I have 5.3x12 tires and I plan to replace them with Kenda Karrier S-Trail ST145/R12 radial tires. The overall diameter of the tires is nearly the same. And the ST145/12 tires are made for trailers. These tires have a D load range while my current tires have a C load range.

11. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Nov 14, 2012
    The rolling diameter of the radials will be the same as the bias ply tires. The tread face of the radials is flat while the bias ply is rounded and flattens on the asphalt.