Cooking over the fire with Charcoal or Wood

Discussion in 'Healthy Outdoor Cooking' started by brianbigdogsmith, Dec 14, 2013.

DO YOU COOK OVER THE CAMPFIRE WITH CHARCOAL OR WOOD

1. WOOD

33 vote(s)
    56.9%
  2. CAHRCOAL

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. DO NOT COOK OVER THE CAMP FIRE

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. NEVER TRIED IT BUT WOULD LIKE TOO

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. BOTH

12 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Feb 20, 2012
    Melviindale MI.
    I have been camping and cooking over the campfire all the time first is lay down wood and place hot charcoals form my tower over the logs and let set till the wood starts works great too.

2. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Oregon
    I have cooked spaghetti next to a wood fire because my stove stopped working, heated beans or bread, but cooking low to the ground kills my back.

3. Dad2futurecampers

Dad2futurecampers New Member

Sep 10, 2013
    I've been pretty bad at getting a good campfire going. I'm going to have to try your method and next time I take the family camping. [8D]

4. capy235co

capy235co Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Seal Beach, CA
    Nothing smells better than bacon cooking in a cast iron skillet over a wood coal fire......

5. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Always cook with wood in a fire pit, i.e. campfire, and charcoal in a Smokey Joe BBQ. The problem using wood is heat control is difficult until you get a pile of embers going which takes some time. Over open flame makes it much more difficult although it can be done. It is better to have long lasting coals/embers for some meals that take a long time to cook.

6. froggie

froggie New Member

Sep 2, 2012
    I agree!

7. billangiep

billangiep Member

May 28, 2012
    X3, bacon & eggs with a dash of ash :)
    90% of our cooking is over the campfire...

[​IMG]

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We never have a campfire - haven't in more than two decades of camping. We've taken charcoal and a small grill a couple of times, but decided it is not worth the space or fuss required while we're camping. We often are out hiking most of the day, so want to eat supper soon after we return to camp, even the grill took too long to use.

9. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Most of my cooking while camping is in the dutch oven. I really don't consider that as cooking over a fire. I use charcoal and it is a closed vessel. For me, cooking over a fire involves a certain amount of ash in the food.

10. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Usually cook over wood when camping. Ocassionally use a small gas or propane grill. Dependd on what I'm cooking and where I am.

11. LGFurr

LGFurr Member

Feb 13, 2011
    We usually cook over wood coals or charcoal for the dutch oven. Sometimes do a skillet meal on the stove if we don't want to take the time needed for coals. I just enjoy the time cooking and poking the fire [:D]!
    Lisa

12. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    If you already have a campfire going then cook on it! That's what I do. [:D]
    Here in NM when you can have a campfire I will always cook over it, if not then I use my Volcano. [;)]

13. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member

May 19, 2010
    ghacker we just bought the craycort cast iron grates for out little smokey joe grill
    What a huge difference it makes. You must check it out if u haven't seen them yet

14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I usually use an aluminum dutch oven, I also use a tripod so I can raise or lower it over the wood fire. For baking I use charcoal under and on top.

15. meyerc13

meyerc13 New Member

May 10, 2016
    For me, it depends on the type of wood and the amount of time I have for prep/cooking/cleanup. Last weekend the wood available at the campground was mostly of the fast burning, quickly consumed variety. It didn't really leave much in the way of embers over which to cook. For occasions like that, I make sure to carry along a bag of charcoal on every weekend outing. Sometimes you luck out and there is some nice wood that will leave lots of good embers, in those cases the charcoal stays in the truck.