Cost of having an A/C unit professionally installed?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by pagoona, May 29, 2018.

1. pagoona

pagoona New Member

My dealer wants $1,200 to install a rooftop unit, which at first I thought was steep, but then I saw someone else here say $1,400 to $1,600. Maybe it's not such a bad deal? I would rather have it professionally done instead of DIY because it's a new PUP. Can't stand the heat and humidity, I need my A/C.

2. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

That sounds reasonable considering the parts probably cost more than half that and they assume all liability if it leaks.

pagoona likes this.
  3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I would pay $1200, and I am a very cheap person. Since it's a new camper, I wouldn't do a DIY and a/c makes a night and day difference in sleeping comfort during the summer. Worth every penny. BTW, I think just the unit cost $500 - $600 without install.

pagoona and xxxapache like this.
  4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I am a DIY guy. I would do it myself if I could save 500 to 600 bucks.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have and would install myself, but if you do not feel comfortable doing it then get it professionally installed

6. Toolmaker13

Toolmaker13 Member

Keep in mind that if you do it yourself on a new PUP you might void any kind of warranty you have.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

$1200 I would get it professionally installed. My shop quoted me something like $1600+ when I looked into adding it to my old popup. I couldn't see giving my shop $1000 in labor for a $600 unit. Then again, I live in the city everything is double the amount.

8. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We had our roof top unit installed by our dealer in 2014. The price was $1,400.00 (A/C unit + installation) The unit (Coleman Mach 8 low profile 13.5 BTU) cost was between $900-1,000. I'd have to go find the paperwork to get the exact price. But well worth it cause they have done so many and I have done "0". The dealer also had the A/C install kits in stock for the Fleetwood/Coleman pups. Also, trying to lift the unit onto the roof and get it in place by myself was a no go! So in our case paying the dealer to do it was well worth it.

Orchid likes this.
  9. pagoona

pagoona New Member

Thanks for the advice everybody. I decided to tell my dealer to go ahead and install it.

Orchid and silvermickey2002 like this.