Could I use a jack caster wheel to solve this problem?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Komodo, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Komodo

Komodo New Member

May 26, 2015
    I park my camper, 3700 pounds in my driveway which has a slight incline, about 10 degrees. I can pull it out with my truck but not if my truck is loaded. The trailer drags on the ground when I reach the highest point where the street levels off. So I have to pull the trailer out, park it on the street then fill my truck and then go back to pulling the trailer.

Could I use a jack caster wheel to solve this problem, or will the wheel break?

Thank you

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Adding a caster wheel will make the jack even closer to the ground. And I wouldn't use a jack with a wheel to raise the back of the truck up. too much load and you could even lift the back wheels of the truck off the ground. Then you won't go anywhere. The trouble is with the truck.
    That said ......... how about wood planks to span the dip of the road ....... or a fold up jack if the jack is dragging ..... or a weight distribution hitch to bring the back of the truck up (but some WDH) hitch hang down a lot. Sometimes even driving at an angle will help. Just some ideas. Really have to see the problem.

BelchFire likes this.
  3. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Active Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Does the truck sit that low when loaded up and the trailer hitched to it?

Airbags

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    What is the truck? how much tongue weight is on the hitch?

5. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Active Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Too much :D

Snow likes this.
  6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Active Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Rather than a hitch castor, you might try a skid roller. You wouldn't attach it to your jack, but to the lowest point of your vehicle's hitch.

A friend has it on his motorhome hitch and it is enough to keep the hitch from scraping up in situations like this. It doesn't reduce or increase your clearance, just prevents the skidding and scraping of the hitch against the ground.

I've got plans to put it on my clipper hitch also as I hit it on occasion pulling out of my driveway. My FnR has a "no load hitch", so it's good.

Attached Files: