Cover for winter storage

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by ryangates13, Nov 12, 2017.

1. ryangates13

ryangates13 New Member

Jan 26, 2017
    This will be my first winter with my pup. I have a 2012 Flagstaff MAC.

Can anyone recommend a good cover? I'm up in Vermont were it will be cold and snowy. I've drained all the lines and did my best to deter rodents. Any suggestions write be great!

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    What does your manual suggest? May suggest breathable covers, such as ADCO, to prevent trapping moisture underneath, which can lead to mold, mildew, etc. Some people do use blue tarps, but with methods to ensure air circulation - pool noodles, or anything else to leave air space under the tarp.
    We had an ADCO cover for our pups, which was breathable - rain or melting snow would seep through, but dry out. The cover protected it from tree sap, bird droppings, etc.
    We have an Aquashed ADCO cover for our TT now, which has Tyvek over the roof, breathable sides, and air vents to reduce billowing.
    I've seen them on Amazon, as well as at dealers, Camping World, eBay.
    More discussions in this section: http://www.popupportal.com/forums/camper-storage-winterizing-de-winterizing.57/

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
  4. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    I cover mine for UV protection.
    I don’t understand the need for protection against snow. I know that brushing off the extra weight is a good idea. But, how does snow contacting the camper hurt it?
    Just curious. I am definitely not a snow expert. We do not get much in Southern KY.

5. coney

coney New Member

Sep 10, 2016
    New Jersey
    As snow and ice melt, water creeps into the smallest of crevices (anywhere liker on a seam) as it refreezes it grows slightly in size put pressure in that crevice make separation of the caulking. constant melting and refreezing can cause havoc

JBinNV likes this.
  6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Yup

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Probably not ideal, but I just use a heavy duty tarp. My pop up has an AC unit so I added my gray water storage container along with a pool noodle between the roof and tarp to give it lots of airflow. The one thing I've noticed is the AC unit does wear down any cover you put on it fairly quick. I also make sure I angle the camper roof enough to encourage runoff. Now not sure what your camper has for amenities but if you have a water pump or water heater you may want to use antifreeze to winterize as just draining your lines may not be enough to how cold your winters are up there. Now if you have one of those basic pop ups with a manual pump and no water heater etc you can get away with just draining your lines.

8. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    I used to just throw a tarp over my pup. I now throw a tarp over my HTT.

9. JBinNV

JBinNV Member

May 10, 2017
    Reno, NV
    Very good info !!!

10. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    I also use this one - just purchased and installed last weekend. Seems like they run big, but was able to make it work. I do wish the top wasn't white though. I'm using mine to stop falling leaves from staining the camper.