Cox Cadet Cushions Project (hopefully!)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Kristyn, Dec 6, 2017 at 3:52 PM.

1. Kristyn

Kristyn New Member

Wednesday
    Hello and huge thanks to anyone who might have an answer for this one:

My husband and I have a Cox Cadet 200 series pop-up and we adore it. It's very vintage and cool. It's pretty rough but we've had a blast. Among other necessaries, however, the pair of main bed cushions are falling apart. I am handy with textiles and have a sturdy sewing machine here in my home office. For a Christmas gift, I want to construct replacements for the creased/folding bed cushions. I have a source for new foam, and some "groovy" new fabric and sash but here is the problem:

The pop-up is at my husband's shop in a warehouse for winter storage. There is no way I can sneak in and unfold it without the ever inquisitive Bill asking why I might want the key. This is problematic because I need to get the dimensions of the old cushions. YIKES

My guess is as follows...all to be done twice, of course:

I think maybe everything is about 73" long (?) The seam-hinged sections go at about 20-24" wide to comprise a total width of about 4' when opened for a bed. I'm thinking poly foam of 6-inch thickness.

How might I come up with a definitive answer without blowing this surprise gift?

Again, my thanks for any insights!

Kristyn

2. rich2

rich2 Active Member

May 3, 2007
    Northampton, PA
    Sorry, I cant help you as I have a 1965 Cox Campsquire (different size beds then yours), however I am in the same boat in that I need new bed cushions, I have found I only have enough clearance when fold up for 4 inch thick foam, might want to double check the clearance to see if your 6 inch foam will fit.

3. Kristyn

Kristyn New Member

Wednesday
    Hi Rich and Barb and Dexter and Grace,

Thank you so much for your reply. I'll take any numerical hints I can get. I really think you're right about the thickness of the foam which is a huge deal-maker/breaker at fold down! To be safe, I'm heeding your advice and going the 4" route.

Sincerely,
    Kristyn

4. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    Hey @Kristyn - sorry I can't help with your measurements.

But I would like to recommend my favorite mod: adding anti-fatigue foam tiles under the foam mattress. Our Jayco also has just enough clearance for the stock 4-inch mattresses. But I added those tile underneath (which are only about 1/2 inch) and it made a surprising improvement in the bed comfort. And it's insulation under the bed too. Love mine!

5. CampStewart

CampStewart New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    There is a cox owners facebook page, Ill bet someone there could give you exact dimensions. I don't have the link but a google search will get you to a site with original cox brochures and dimensions. I know the width is 40 inches, I am not sure of the length but it is somewhat shorter than a standard mattress. I bought a cadet fixer upper that is all buttoned up for the winter. I will need new canvas and new mattresses in the spring for mine.

Edit: When determining the length of the mattress keep in mind that the top bows take up some space and the mattress needs to be short enough to fit between them.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 10:30 PM