CPAP with no on-board battery

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Haybale, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Troy_grover

Troy_grover New Member

May 23, 2017
    Lehi, UT
    Mine are 9-15. It worked but only half heartedly. I was on ramp up at 4 so it should have been ok. I'm baffled

2. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    I am not sure what my settings are...

3. omahadlr

omahadlr Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Fairview Heights, IL.
    15173603951741446742634.jpg 15173604431931177067085.jpg

4. omahadlr

omahadlr Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Fairview Heights, IL.
    I got my CPAP from the VA.
    I bought this Schumacher power station at Lowe's or Home Depot for 120. With my CPAP humidifier on it'll last maybe 4 hrs, without the humidifier it'll last all night.

5. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    I believe its the same one my dad has, it averages about 4 to 5 amps and peaks about 8 to 9 amps hooked up to a 12 volt power source.

omahadlr likes this.
  6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

when we are boondocking I have the cheap HF genny that I put in a 3 sided box with lid. I than drag down hill it as far away from the camper as I dare. This deadens the sound so much that I can barely hear it and the 20 or so folks that are tenting with us sleep through it without a complaint I even had 1 person thank me because it helped him sleep as he normally sleeps with a fan on.

7. dbhost

dbhost Member

Sep 19, 2018
    My wife had me buy a Halo Bolt battery pack about two years ago. During Hurricane Harvey we lost power for about 12 hours overnight, so I plugged into the bolt. Slept for about 6 hours and the battery didn't run all the way down. Sorry the storm wouldn't let me sleep longer...

I really need to fully test this.

8. dbhost

dbhost Member

Sep 19, 2018
    Okay guys, I know this is an old thread, but an important one. Let me clue you in to what I am doing right now for CPAP power off grid....

There are 2 parts to my system,

The first part, an Everstart J45TKE Jump Starter w/ 120 PSI Compressor & Inverter. I know this is a gamble, but I wanted one I could pick up locally, and get serviced at any Walmart if there was a failure. It is rated at 1200 amps peak (total malarkey number I know) and 400 watts. From what I can tell, the battery is 22ah. This in theory should run my Resmed AirSense 10 overnight for at least 2 nights.

The second part, a Harbor Freight Tailgator 900w peak 700w running 2 cycle generator. This is ONLY to top off the battery on the jump starter as it sounds like a chain saw. I have an OLD cooler that I have drilled holes in / built baffles to make a muffler box to house the generator to cut back the noise to a not having the cops or rangers called on me levels...

The Generator goes on sale every now and again for $89.99 (2018), the jump starter ran me $59.99 at Walmart (prices plus tax).

This unfortunately means I have yet another fuel to worry about, 2 stroke pre mix, stabilized of course, along with the propane for my appliances, and gasoline for the truck... BUT, I have a dedicated 2 stroke gas can (green spout) that is separate from my auto fuel can, and no way of mistaking this for propane right?

On the jump start box, after the initial 40 hour deep charge after unboxing it, from my experience, it takes about 2 hrs of charging on the generator to top it off after using it for a day or so.

No this won't run your 1KW microwave, AND CPAP, AND fridge, AND drip coffee maker etc... But it WILL run your CPAP freeing up your house battery in the pop up to do its thing...

9. dbhost

dbhost Member

Sep 19, 2018
    If you can make it work, try "softeneing" the inside of the box by making it bigger, and adding some non flamable insulation like Rockwool. These HF 2 stroke generators are loud like a chain saw cutting timber... and at full tilt aren't super fuel efficient... Not horrible, just not great is all. 5 hrs / gal at 50% load... Use the genny to charge up a battery pack and have a silent night....

10. jnc

That would mean I have to buy a battery. The way this is setup it sounds like the chain saw is 20 miles away.

11. dbhost

dbhost Member

Sep 19, 2018
    Kind of the point yeah. Many campgrounds, including primitive / no services do not allow generator use at night. Some of your neighbors might consider it white noise, some might consider it a massive intrustion into their peace and quiet.

If your quiet box rig really is that quiet, I would be interested in seeing it...

12. dbhost

dbhost Member

Sep 19, 2018
    For what it's worth, my power setup, while certainly low $$, seems to be suitable, time and testing will tell...

I am using a Harbor Freight Tailgator #63024 which I got with a coupon for $89.99
    https://www.harborfreight.com/900-m...63cc-2-cycle-gas-generator-epacarb-63024.html

For the battery / inverter, I am using an Everstart J45TKE Jump Starter w/ 120 PSI Compressor & Inverter I picked it up at $59.99 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Everstart-J45TKE-Jump-Starter-w-120-PSI-Compressor-Inverter/749006247

While I am not 100% certain but it looks like the battery is a 24a/hr Lead Acid battery.

The idea is to run the CPAP off the jump starter, and recharge the jump starter with the TailGator.

13. Haybale

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    I just have a 10w solar panel plugged into the 12v port on the same battery pack, I can go indeffinately with sun every other day. I was out 6 nights boondocking, forgot to move the solar panel into the sun, so I just cherged it with alligator clips with my idling TV for 20 minutes. Cheap enough for a back up for me.

I also shut the heated hose off, humidifier off, and put on airplane mode. In the winter months I run the hose into my sleeping bag and that warms the air up enough.

14. dbhost

dbhost Member

Sep 19, 2018
    I am a bit surprised that a 10W solar panel can do the job. Did you type that correctly? My Resmed says it is 50-95 watts. (50 without the humidifier). I could see easily where a 100w panel could keep the thing going, even in the winter months. Of course YMMV with all the other variables. I know my old Respironics used less juice without the humidifier. I think something like 15 or 25w. And it was 12V input not 24V.

Bee considering running that old thing to a repair shop, or seeing if I can buy a refurbished Respironics just for camping...

15. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Given these power consumption specifications for the Resmed 10 I don't understand how you believe a 22ah battery can last one night much less two. 90W power supply unit AC input range: 100–240V, 50–60Hz 1.0–1.5A, Class II 115V, 400Hz 1.5A, Class II (nominal for aircraft use) DC output: 24V 3.75A Typical power consumption: 53W (57VA) Peak power consumption: 104W (108VA)

16. Haybale

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN

Yes I use a 10w, ten, solar panel plugged directly into the 12v port on the jump pack. The CPAP has a 12v adapter so no inverter.

My previous set-up was 2 7Ah sealed lead acid batteries in parrallel, and I could get 2 nights of use without recharging with solar while camping.

To date is about 50 nights camped with the CPAP and only 2 nights I had an electric hook up (well 2 others but did not have the 110v plug nor extension cord).

As a back up to the jump pack I have used my car batter with alligator clips when I forgot to shut the humidifier and heated hose off.

17. Haybale

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    Ratings on batteries and devices can vary quite a bit.

18. dbhost

dbhost Member

Sep 19, 2018
    The Halo bolt runs it for at least 6... I figure the jump pack should at least triple that time... only testing will tell for sure...

19. dbhost

dbhost Member

Sep 19, 2018
    I just looked at the documentation from resumes and the air sens 10 with the humidifier turned off at a pressure of 10 needs an 8 amp hour battery to run for 8 hours so yes I'm supremely confident the 22 amp hour battery will make it work. I don't know the specifics of the Halo bolt but I think I read somewhere that it is a 12 amp hour battery so yeah it will work for one night but the jump starter with the 22 amp hour battery would be far better. With the humidification level set at 4 it actually is doable with a 100 amp hour deep cycle battery for 2 days without recharging. Long term I'm planning on getting a 100 amp hour deep slcycle battery in a marine Box and a 1500 W inverter with of course 12 V outlets that should more than handle all my needs with the little Harbor freight generator shoving the juice back in it when it gets low.

Yes it costs more then just a CPAP battery but it gives me far more flexibility and allows me to run Lighting and USB chargers on it as well.

I know the respironics Use less energy and I am like I said seriously thinking about getting my old unit fixed or buying a refurbished one just for camping. I don't care if it's not all perfect I have to go camping again and I can't have these stupid camp sites that have electric in art available without a 6 month in advance reservation keep me out of where I want to be.

20. jnc

I don't camp in camp grounds often and when I do I plug in. As for the box what makes it work so good is the hundred foot rock climb down hill Oh ya and my Camper is on the edge of the ridge blocking the other folks on the ridge from the noise.