CPAP with no on-board battery

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Haybale, Jun 26, 2017.

1. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

We use it for travel only since the replaceable cartridge doesn’t require us to use a humidifier so it is very efficient when we have to rely on the battery. We use the Resmed S9 with the humidifier at home. We got it as a package deal

2. bob414

bob414 New Member

ResMed S9 user, NTM Popup, no real data yet. I have the 12 V adapter for the CPAP.
    Just spliced in a 12V Cig type socket into the water pump 10 AMP circuit and got a triple Cig socket adapter with QC USB/ USB and USB-c connectors with DC Voltage gauge. I plan on not using water pump.
    Using one type 24 deep cycle battery that I used while tent camping with no humidifier CPAP one night and charged phone and used 15% of battery capacity.
    Have multiple recharge capabilities, TV, 45 Watt solar, 900 and 2000 watt generators.
    Current planned electric usage, is CPAP, pup heater and led lights, phone charging and maybe a computer if battery holds up
    First planned trip is in 2nd weekend in March. Wish me luck.

Bob

3. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Good luck! Running all that, especially the camper's furnace fan with just a single G24 you'll also be running one of those gensets quite a bit. Make sure you have sufficient gas! :smiley:

4. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

You are going to need the luck. Turn the humidifier off on the CPAP, and turn off the pup furnace. Try a Buddy Heater. No electricity required.

The CPAP humidifier and pup furnace suck down electricity like Barney the down drunk sucks down beer.

Radiant heaters such as the Mr. Heater Buddy Heater, like the Portable Buddy, or Big Buddy (9k BTU or 18K BTU) or the Camco Olympian Wave (3K BTU and 6K BTU models) are popular units among full time RVers and boondockers. I have been using a Portable Buddy heater for tent camping and now going to PU camping since 2005. My BIL has a Class B camper van with a built in furnace. His furnace drains the battery overnight, and uses WAY more propane than my Buddy Heater, and I am FAR more comfortable with my soft sided camper than his furnace rig...

FWIW, so far my electrical usage is.

CPAP, LED lighting, and IF needed laptop.

I use VERY little LED lighting though. My laptop with light use can go the whole weekend without a charge and have plenty left.

Unless you are a digital nomad, which a pop up makes life sort of interesting to say the least, I don't see a lot of good use to even have a laptop with you on a camping trip. Want to shoot video or stills? Great, use your phone, or GoPro / camera of choice. Wait till you get home to edit and share them... Of course if you ARE a digital nomad, then the story changes entirely...

In use so far, my jump box works great for running what I need to. If I run the CPAP for 8 hours or less, I can eke out 2 nights with it. If I sleep in, or take forever getting to sleep, I need to charge it with my generator for at least an hour or so every day...

There are 2 drawbacks as you know to running the generator. Actually 3...
    #1. Noise. These things are NOT silent no matter how quiet a generator you get. Don't be rude, only run your generator during the day. Preferrably during afternoon hours.
    #2. Fuel consumption. This varies by generator, but you have to carry fuel to power these things. I typically carry 2 gallons of fuel oil mix per trip. I like having extra, and use what I don't in camp, for my lawn equipment at home.
    #3. Smell / pollution. 2 stroke generators like mine are worse than 4 stroke, but even then, All generators are going to produce some pollution, and stink. Once warmed up and doing its thing the 2 stroke isn't bad, but getting there is a cloud of smoke and stinky 2 stroke oil. Again, be consierate of your neighbors, and minimize your use if you can.

Your solar is a good idea, but for your use, seems massively undersized. You probably don't need a ton of solar, but depending on your CPAP, for example mine draws 90w max with the humidifier. Harbor Freight sells a cheap, and easy 100w solar panel and charge controller set. That should suffice for your application, again that laptop depending on model, CPU, GPU etc... could radically increase your power needs. Many modern CPUs for example use 105 or so watts, plus disks, displays, RAM etc... you could easily be looking at 200w or more...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  5. bob414

bob414 New Member

I camp a little differently from most people, mostly during events called Star Parties. As an amateur astronomer, I sleep during the day and stay up late at night. My neighbors are also of like mind. I also have 5 12VDC power packs for powering scope and gear.

I have used my little Buddy heater in a tent, but was worried air quality, so I did not sleep with the heater on. My genny is a 2000 Watt inverter type and sometimes I have access to limited electric power.

I will test my battery running both CPAP (no heater) and pup Heater. May have to run CPAP (no heater) on one of my power packs.

I know I will over pack for my first trip. But I will see what works, what else I need and what is overkill.

6. bob414

bob414 New Member

Finally have some real data.

Feb 22, 2019
    Tidewater Virginia.
    Temp ~ 42 F raining.
    Deep Cycle battery 24 fully charged.
    Flagstaff 206LTD camper
    Camper Heater maintaining ~ 68 F (turned on 30min before CPAP)
    Resmed 9 (9 setting) no humidity control or heater.
    7 1/2 hr sleep time with CPAP.
    Battery voltage at end of run 12.2 VDC.

Should be able to sleep easy now and not worry about loss of power on CPAP or Heater for a overnight er. However, will have to recharge daily.

data.

7. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson New Member

I bought a portable jump starter at Harbor Freight for $38 on sale. It has two 12v sockets. I tested it in my bedroom and got two and a half nights out of one charge. Enough for most boondock situations. I have a 12v adaptor for my Resmed and turn off the humidifier. It is much more portable than a 12v battery. Get the adaptor, do not plug an inverter in the 12v, it sucks too much juice.

Haybale likes this.