Crooked River SP

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by 1stpopup, Dec 14, 2014.

1. 1stpopup

1stpopup Member

Spent the weekend there just to get our first camping trip in the PUP. The sites were clean and there was plenty of available spaces. There are two loops so to speak. You drive down the middle and either loop left or right. The middle and left were very open sites that had no real boundaries. The right loop had more privacy and bushes between the sites.

Loos like they have built a new bath house for the middle and left area (never looked in). The one on the right side was clean and heated though.

We tried fishing but the sand gnats ran us off after about and hour. The dock is not just for the camp ground but a boat launch area too. Lots of traffic in and out even at this time of year. We had to pull our lines up for boat traffic twice.

They have a putt putt area that is in the process of being cleaned up. Not to bad of a little course. You have to rent the clubs and balls from the camp office and they hold your license while you are playing. $17.50 for a family of four.

There is one geo cache the we never found. It was a 2 part that led you to the far end of the park. We just didn't have the time.

We had planned some other things to do in St Marys so we kept busy. If you have kids this might not be a long stay. They do have a nature center but you can easily do all of the activities at the park in a day. They have Santa at the nature center on select days too.

There is a train that has rides in downtown. www.stmarysrailroad.com. And a playhouse that has frequent plays too. We went to see A Christmas Carol and ended up being next to tiny Tim and his family at the campground. www.stmaryslittletheatre.com There is also a live Nativity walk thru this time of the year nearby. We were to tired to go this trip but plan on going next year. www.livenativitycamden.com

All in all not a bad place to camp. We were in site 48 and there was no shade to speak of. Great for winter not so sure about summer. If you have kids this is the time of year to be there. They can play around and not heat to death.

[​IMG]

2010 Palomino P-280

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review. Sites have power and water?

3. 1stpopup

1stpopup Member

Yes. Ours had 2 30A plugs and 1 20A. 2 hose bibs and a cable jack. I looked at a few others and they were the same.

2010 Palomino P-280

4. ktsmom

ktsmom One Happy Camper!

I can help with this. I stayed for 3 nights over this past July 4th weekend. It was hot, but not unbearable. My PUP has air condition, so I ran it at night. Gnats were an issue but bug-spray worked well. I agree with you that it's a good place to stay. The intern Ranger was very nice and hosted a bon-fire with stories & marshmallows. The middle bathhouse was very clean & stocked (toilet paper & paper towels). We went to the dock area to watch the fireworks. Busy place. We also took a kayak trip down the river with 2 Ranger guides. They were very nice & knowledgeable. I believe this was $25 per person w/o a kayak. They have kayaks & vests. The trip was about 3hrs. All in all, it was a nice place. Wal-Mart & restaurants were about a 15 minute ride away, if you forget anything.

5. Popupdunns

Popupdunns New Member

Well we spent the weekend there. We had 7 families go, 4 cabins and 3 pop ups. We all had a great time except for the no see em's, the were a nightmare. Skin so soft, off with deet, park sprays nothing worked for long. For my wife and I it was our second pop up adventure, and thank to this forum a lot of stuff went great. We had know problem with setup or running everything. We are still working on our organization and the amount of stuff we bring.
    Back to the park... We really liked the park, most the other campers were very friendly. But again the no see em's were BAD

6. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Just got back from Crooked River State Park for a 5 night stay. I echo all the reviews above. I would add that that my kids loved the flat roads for bike riding. The night hike and nature center were good and only cost a dollar. Got to touch turtles, snakes, and a baby alligator. Ranger Kate was very informative. Walmart and publix are less than 10 minutes away.

The camp map is not at all to scale. The comfort stations are close to all sites. We stayed at site 19. It is a large pull through site and faces the woods. I recommend sites 12, 14, and 15 as they have a view of the river. The other sites are basically under the pine trees. Sites 42 and 43 would have been my next choice-they are at a dead end and have walking access to a playground near the cottages. Stick with the sites along the perimeter of the loop.

The sub base activities were not a nuisance. Barely heard the auditory warning to boats who strayed too close. Sometimes heard the navy hymn in the morning if the wind blew the right direction.

Highly recommend a Cumberland island ferry trip. Desolate beaches and lots of maritime forest. It's a national park and boat leaves from "downtown" St. Mary's. 15 minutes to the dock from the park.

Also recommend the Okeefenokee Swamp tour outside of Folkston. 40 minutes away but you get a great ecological swamp tour and see lots of alligators and birds.

Folkston is also a major train spotting location. It's called the Folkston Funnel. Railroad depot and platform are good places for picture of long trains. Most rail activity in mornings and late afternoons.

Message me for any questions.

Happy camping!

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

We camped at Crooked River SP for 2 nights. Rangers were courteous and check-in was quick. We were on Site 25 which was huge for an Aliner. Sites are not on top of one another. Had a sidewalk to the bath house. Bath house was clean, but heat was questionable for January. Water was hot though, so you could muscle through it. We tour the surrounding area, so did very little at the campground. I should have checked out the boat ramp.

tzmartin likes this.
  8. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Glad you found a good place to camp!

9. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

We’re at Crooked River SP now. Nice clean park. Good for bike rides. We’ve been in FL for much of Jan and started to head north from Fort Clinch SP (Amelia Island) yesterday. Did not get very far. Cold forecast made use decide to stay south for a couple more days. May need to winterize when we leave here.

tzmartin likes this.
  10. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Is the "special" camper still there with his light projectors on his TT that ran all night long?

11. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Not that I have seen!