Curtain hanging options other than clips/track

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Retroindigo, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Retroindigo

Retroindigo New Member

Jan 27, 2018
    We just bought a 1996 Coleman Taos from its original owners who did not keep the original curtains. They took a giant piece of outdoor fabric, attached velcro to the top, and attached velcro to the old curtain track. They would use this just at night -- so no sliding them back to let in light. There are no bunk-end curtains, but the tracks are still there.

I bought some fabric to make curtains, but I'm trying to figure out the best approach -- the same velcro trick and just have tie-backs? Or, does anyone have any other methods?

I've also considered just getting a huge tension rod to put on the bunk end for the curtain. Another idea although I dont know if it would work is to use command hooks and a very thin curtain rod, and just slip the rod on the hooks.

Any ideas are appreciated!!

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

The best thing about the Portal is that there are a LOT of great and original ideas for mods. You have some good ideas, but what it comes down to is what works for you!

With that being said, I like the idea of the Velcro. Sounds simple and gets the job done. I would think that it would also make it easy to throw them in the wash if need be.

Was there something wrong with the track that the original owner opted out from using it?

Would you put the pressure rod on the roof side boards? How much pressure will they put on the roof side boards? I know the pressure rod in my home shower wedges the rod between the walls pretty tight.

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

If the original track it not usable you could use door guides or C channel trim with glides or rollers to have movable curtains.

4. fivestorys

fivestorys New Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Hello! You've probably decided by now, but I wanted to share my experience. We have a Coleman Cheyenne, and when we bought it the original curtains weren't in good shape. I tried the command hook idea all last summer and found that the rod just didnt stay on very well or warped...there wasnt enough support to pull the curtains open naturally. So I'm going the velcro route this year. I plan to add full strips to the rail and the curtain, so I can elcro it open or closed. The other thing I didn't like about the rod is that it let light in around the top and I like a dark camper in the am. I figure the velcro will solve this problem too.