Dark Siding full time?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by NorcrossFlyer, Sep 18, 2017.

1. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Member

Oct 26, 2015
    North Georgia
    Is there a forum or subthread for this?

While I'm not really close to a time in my life where this is possible it is something I and the wife are very interested in. Is there anywhere on this forum where people who are currently doing this posts their questions, stories, etc? I would be really interested in reading it.

My wife and I decided this summer this is what we wanted to do eventually. We were hanging out in the bar at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and listening to the bar tender talk about how he just follows the tourist season around to the various national parks and works for the company that runs the tourist operations there. That sounded really cool. Then on a hike we found the employee living area (There is no commuting to the North Rim) and it was loaded with RV's and TTs. We were thinking that this would be the way to go.............just drop out of the professional world and offer our services (IT, HR/Staffing) to the parks. Smaller salary but then so is the commitment. With the biggest perk being you are living at the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone or some other really cool place.

Our kids are still in elementary school so we have a ways to go. But once they've left the nest we might want to make this happen.

Anyone else considering this?

2. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    We are planning on going full-time in about three years. There are a number of forums and groups that talk about full-timing and work camping. Workamper, IRV2, and Escapees come to mind. There are others. We even visited the Escapee Rainbow Park in Livingston in July just to see what it was like. We're thinking TX will be our home.

In the mean time, we're enjoying our pop-up and this forum. It's a whole new world out there. : )

3. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I used to dream of doing this. Then I realized how cool it is to have grandparents at my kids' activities. We've decided we are going to be there too. We will instead likely take extended trips but still call our community home forever. Now if all the kids decide to move away then it will likely be back on the table. What we think would be fun would be to camp host at different campgrounds in the state.

Orchid likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    My aunt did something sort of like that, except it was mainly to travel all of North America. However she didn't want to sell their house in case something went wrong, so decided to rent it out. They both quit their desk jobs got a big TT and TV and left. Well life has a way of catching up and getting in the way, and that is exactly what happened to her. There was a family emergency to one of their kids that caused them to rush home. Months later they tried to get back on the road however they couldn't find a long term renter. They knew without a steady job they would not be able to afford the house payment without a renter much less gas to travel. So ended up selling the camper. Sadly they only managed to visit a few parks in their time away. As much as I dream to see everything I just don't think I could do that without a steady flow of income.

bob barnes likes this.
  5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I'll keep that in mind... rent out home before you buy camper...

bob barnes likes this.
  6. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Jun 8, 2012
    Trailer? Check! Big truck? Check! Dreams and research? Check! Means to survive are in the process. I am in my mid 40's and tired of the rat race, she is in her late 30's and almost done with her MBA. Goal is to find a portable job for her, or at least one that gives some flexibility with benefits. If we can pull that off everything gets liquidated. If the portability thing doesn't happen then we at least have a nice place to live while we relocate and find/build our next sticks and bricks in our new location, at which point I finally decide what I want to do when I grow up, maybe.

bob barnes likes this.
  7. RockyRoo

Jun 8, 2012
    We have actually found the Facebook owners group for the manufacturer that we purchased from to be a great wealth of info. This company caters to full timers so there are many on the page and at their rally's. We also sat thru a Q&A session at the last Indiana rally which was very informative

8. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    Well sign me up for the I'm-in-my-40's-and-dream-of-retiring-and-full-timing club too! My husband and I have this dream involving an Airstream. I was stalking the Airforums for a while and they have a good-sized section on full-timing. We hope to still keep a home and take months-long trips, particularly to get away from Chicago winters. But still be flexible to come back to see our then-grown kids or our then-elderly parents. I also hope that us being mobile will give our kids a feeling that it's ok if they want to move away somewhere (warmer, preferably...) - we can come to them!

@NorcrossFlyer if you want a home base, consider looking for a small townhouse in a senior community. My in-laws own one near us (south of Chicago) and a second home in Florida. They are able to go to Florida knowing their house here is getting the lawn mowed, the snow removed, and is safe in a gated community. It was pretty inexpensive. Although not sure what you do with your TT when you are home... have to figure that one out.

bob barnes likes this.
  9. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    maybe sell home first then line up a small apartment!

10. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    Great idea but kids, student loans, house loans and such usually tie people down!!

11. RockyRoo

Jun 8, 2012
    All depends on how you do it there Bob. I am 45 and both kids are out of the house and gone! My student loans have been paid off years ago and the kids loans are their problems . Sure, I have a house loan but I don't have so much house that I can't afford to have a little fun. It's all about priorities big guy, I still live in the house I started in 20 years ago, and although I don't intend to stay much longer I also don't intend to go broke with the next one. It's all about priorities. I feel no need to impress anyone, just to be comfortable for us. With that, we can do just about anything else we want. What's the point of having so much house that you can't eat?

bob barnes likes this.
  12. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    You operate just like we do doing this we have accumulated a lot of the old stuff hard cash along with other things. we have no worries no need to sell our home but a house and property can tie you down. At 75 I am thinking a small apartment we can leave with no valuable in it and have more fun. saying that my time may be near with my big-time back surgery and pain all the time every day is an extra day for me to enjoy and have fun!!!!

13. RockyRoo

Jun 8, 2012
    Well, I had my first back surgery (herniated L4-L5) at 29 and second at 38. At 75 it will be a little more recovery but just remember that walking helps recovery and long term success.

14. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    Believe me had all my rods and hardware removed and another disc removed 2 more fused and new rods and hardware redone. This wasn't hard at 73 but at 75 a real bad idea and nothing I could do. Mucho pain!!!

15. RockyRoo

Jun 8, 2012
    Good lord! Rods and fusions and disk removals? The sad reality is I will likely get to that point but I really hope not to. So far I have been pretty lucky in that my doc is violently against fusions and hardware if he can at all avoid then. I know something is likely coming though at some point. Hope your next one goes well.

bob barnes likes this.
  16. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    I just finished my second repair job at 75 it has been tough all this the 20th of july oh did I mention pain killers on top of everything else? Oh well better get back on topic a cop may turn me in! funning never happened here!

17. RockyRoo

Jun 8, 2012
    Well this is one of many reasons we ended up with the 5er, just so much easier to hitch/unhitch and set up/tear down for me. I do 600 mg's of Anvil just to get out of bed every morning, years later. I hope it gets better for you, I know chronic pain is miserable, I live it

bob barnes likes this.
  18. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    I really like Stevie our 13f it has all we need and its easy to get into for now. the bed is a little high so we have a stand we use to get up there. Going trouting next week will be final trip I think! bob

19. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    We boonedock at Walmarts I know no bathrooms but we we have leaned to use militer baths 1/g each of course we use Walmart facilities thus no water to load or haul no stinking unloading better hauling. we eat a fair breakfast in the camper fair meal out at nite we eat vry little. we took a 6000 mi trip to texas and N. M. total cost was 600.00. cheap bob

20. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Columbiaville, Michigan
    We were full time RVers for 15 years. There is a lot to think about before getting into the life style. One of the first problems to hit us, was health insurance. When we sold our house in MI, and became residents of SD by using a mail forwarding service we found out about the "buying insurance across state lines" thing, you can't do that. Also a HMO, PPO, or Medicare Advantage plan wont work if you need health care outside of your network while you are traveling. Another mistake we made was putting a lot of "stuff" in storage, paying monthly fees and never using any of it again, should have sold it or gave it away. Do a lot of research on the state you want to pick for your home state, when we started our adventure, 3 states had no state income tax, SD, TX, and FL, if you are planning to buy a million dollar motorhome, I think there is at least one state that does not charge sales tax on vehicles, not sure now. I was told that TX charged sales tax again in vehicles that you already have when you change your address to TX, and they have annual vehicle inspections when you renew your plates, kind of a hassle to pull your trailer out to get inspected every year. I could go on a lot longer, but hope this helps, if anyone has questions, post them or PM me. Good luck, hope you enjoy it as much as we did, wish our health would allow us to be still full timing.