De-Winterizing How To?

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by jblasutti, Apr 20, 2015.

1. jblasutti

jblasutti I'd Rather Be Camping

Aug 26, 2014
    This is my first spring with a PUP, bought our NTU Jayco last fall and was able to get out and use it for one long-weekend before having to put it away for a long Canadian winter. Before parking it for the season I brought it to the dealer that we got it from and had them winterize it (which, AFAIK, only included anti-freeze) mostly because I was new to PUPs and wouldn't have known where to start.

Since then, I've spent the winter researching and figuring out that there are a lot of things and can be doing myself. One topic that I haven't seen a whole lot of time spent on is De-Winterizing.

What does it take to de-winterize a winterized PUP? Do I just fill the water tanks and flush the system a few times?

2. scott10ss

scott10ss Member

Apr 4, 2015
    I'm no expert, but I just dewinterize mine. Took about an hour. I drained all the antifreeze. Filled up my tank and ran all the faucets, then repeat. You can put a cup of bleach in your tank, fill it up, then flush to help sanitize.

3. Heady

Heady Active Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Pretty simple. Drain the antifreeze out of your fresh water tank, then start filling the tank. Drop a capful of bleach in if you like. turn on the line going to your fresh water tank and turn off the antifreeze draw tube (if equipped). Run all of your sinks, showers, toilet, shower, outside shower, low point drains, untill the water is clear. Then open the valves to you hot water tank and close the bypass (if equipped) and run some water to flush out your hot water tank. That's it. Pretty easy. The hardest part is usually finding the valves.

4. jblasutti

jblasutti I'd Rather Be Camping

Aug 26, 2014
    Thanks for the info, all. It's just getting warm enough here to get 'er open and I'm planning on popping her up for the first time of the season this weekend. I'm not decided on going full de-winterize just yet (mostly time related as I'm an accountant and this is the last weekend before our personal tax filing deadline... a somewhat busy time of year [8D] ), but I am anxious to get back inside to make sure:

1) Canvas still looks great,
    2) No water damage,
    3) No pests,
    4) Take some measurements for some mods I've got planned before our maiden voyage of the year in June.

Anything besides the flushing of the system that I should be doing? I've had my battery on a battery tender for he winter, plan to get the propane tanks restocked. Missing anything?

5. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Nope. I think you have it covered. Great idea to just pop it open and check it out. I did the same thing last week. I will de-winterize it in a few weeks when the risk of frost has passed. Sounds like you will do the same.

Until you decide to de-winterize it all you can do is open it up and begin to restock it with items you took out over the winter. You do want to check out the exterior also to make sure the chalking is still good and working at keeping the water out.

Vin.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    I got our TT pretty close to "ready to go" last Saturday, I didn't de-winterize the water as it's a bit early, since as you can see today the temps still drop below freezing at night, I'll do it in about 2 weeks, just before our May 2-4 trip.

Repack the wheel bearings, inflate the tires, lube the lift system and check the brake/marker lights..

Ohhh I may need your services if I don't get ours completed by Sunday .. [:D]

7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    2x, That is what we do. Than add our stuff. we went on a long trip already, but just last night, I had to re-winterize because the temp were dropping back to the 20's

8. scott10ss

scott10ss Member

Apr 4, 2015
    I was worried about that too, luckily our lows are staying about 40 so far in missouri

9. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    I have the water side of winterizing down to about 15 minutes. But I just blow out the lines and run about 16 oz of antifreeze through the pump after everything is drained and blowed out.

10. jasonelyons

jasonelyons New Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Anchorage
    Do you just fill the water tank with your normal house spigot on the side of the house? Can you use a normal garden hose for this? Or do you use your white hose? Sorry for the dumb questions, definitely a newb. Just bought a 2007 Starcraft RT14

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Regular garden hose will do... one other thing you might want to do, is pour some bleach solution into your trailer water hoses, connect the ends together and let them sit for a bit to sanitize them as well. .

12. jasonelyons

jasonelyons New Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Anchorage
    Great suggestion, thank you. Do I need to go to city water hookup to dewinterize that line too? Is it ok to use my fresh water tank after I dewinterize it if the city line still has pink?

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Do the City water as well.. pointless doing part of the job..

14. jasonelyons

jasonelyons New Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Anchorage
    Snow, thanks again. Another few more stupid questions. Do I have to actually hook up to city water connections to dewinterize the city line or can I use my home line? Second, it looks like my hot water anode needs replacing. I bought a new one but am unable to get the old one off, possibly due to rusting and age. Is dewinterizing all for naught if I can't drain the water heater? The previous owner had the bypass to heater closed so is this even an issue as long as I drain main lines first before opening bypass to fill water heater? Thanks again!