Dealing with rain

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by Camp-or, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Camp-or

Camp-or New Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Sorry if this has been covered before, I tried searching but "rain" turns up a WHOLE BUNCH of results and the first couple pages didn't have what I want.

Living in the PNW it's wet here quite often, and I don't want to limit my camping to just dry weather. The problem is, at home I don't have any indoor space to setup the PUP. It'll either be stowed on the gravel next to my driveway, which is not level at all, or on the road. I'm curious about dealing with the wet canvas after camping in the rain. I know I should be setting it up to let it dry out, but up here, that could literally be months at a time before it's dry enough to take down again. I highly doubt the city and/or my neighbors would like my open trailer sitting on the street for months at a time, and likewise having it sitting open next to the driveway for months doesn't really appeal to me either. Too many temptations for thieves, animals/insects, etc.

So how does everyone else without indoor storage options deal with camping in the rain?

Thanks.

2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I have set up and camped in the rain without my canvas getting wet. I have a tarp that covers the whole camper. I put the tarp on the camper before I open it up.

3. Ryanm

Ryanm New Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I don't know. Maybe try covering it while it's open and removing the tarps whenever it's sunny (or whatever passes for good weather out there)?

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

You don't need days to dry it out, an hour or three will do. Certainly you don't have constant rain for months without any gaps?

You want to dry it out ASAP if you have to close it wet, but you can go a few days with no issues.

5. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Wipe it with a cloth when you have dry weather to speed the process up then let is sit as long as you can before it rains again to close. A couple of hours is all you need.

6. Camp-or

Camp-or New Member

Sep 22, 2016
    haha! actually yes we can. Well maybe not months but it sure seems like it sometimes. Just last December we had the second longest rainy streak on record with 25 days of consecutive rainfall, averaging about 1/2" a day. I suppose there's probably gaps of a couple hours in there here and there, but often we tend to get light rain or mist that goes on all day in the fall. It's almost like a heavy fog.

I wasn't sure how long the canvas needed to dry out. If it's only a handful of hours it probably won't be too bad. I was thinking it was more on the order of a day or so.

I suppose having the heater cranked up and maybe a fan inside to help circulate the air might help speed up the process?

7. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

May 23, 2008
    SE Wisconsin
    Do you know anyone in central Oregon...on the other side of the Cascades?

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Not sure if you said you had indoor storage or not. If you do, what my parents done was popup the roof a part way enough to pull out most of the canvas so it could dry. I have off site storage with strict rules about opening the camper so have the same problem. I have covered the pup with a tarp sometimes, or stayed later at a campsite if there were a few hours of dry time. Even if it was over cast it can still dry a bit. I have even schedule another camping trip the following weekend if it was going to be drier. That is one of the bigger problems about pop-ups is figuring in dry time.

9. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Assuming your 2002 has vinyl-coated fabric and not "canvas", I don't think the heater inside will help much. Give it a good toweling off from the outside and it should dry up really quick, especially if the sun comes out. I've been cooking breakfast with water running off the bunks, and broke camp a couple hours later with it completely dry.

10. Camp-or

Camp-or New Member

Sep 22, 2016
    yes, but it's a 3 hour drive each way, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Both actually. The rear bunk and dinette slide out are original vinyl coated, but the PO replaced the front bunk and it's just the regular canvas stuff.

Thanks everyone, lots of good suggestions and comments coming in! :)

11. Camp-or

Camp-or New Member

Sep 22, 2016
    ooo! More camping?!?! Now you're talking my language! lol.

Seems like it. I suppose worst case I could take it to my parent's house and have them pull their 5th wheel out of the shop and setup the PUP in there for a couple hours. But I'd rather not bother them if I can help it.

12. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    We are in the Puget Sound, and our method is to set the PUP up and wait for a window of non-rain.

Granted, we don't tend to go camping during the darkest days of December and January, but in our area, more likely than not, there will be a window even in those months, for drying out. It doesn't need that much time, really and doesn't need sunshine either.

13. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    my experiences:

1. Completely over the camper with looooonnnnng tarp. and have a towel handy to dry off few spots.

2. Gizmo over is a lifesaver. they help cover the top but sometimes the side is wet but they canvas are waterproofed. I dry off the canvas with towels which will clean off dirt at same time. fold then canvas, feel for wet spots, dry them off. I push in bed while the gizmo cover end is all the way to ground (not folded inside) which will help keep rain off while i dry off canvas. then dry off the gizmo. I repeat at the other bunkhead. I crank down the roof halfway and i dry off gizmo then fold them inside. It worked for me but it doesn't rain often in California though. I did that when I lived in Alabama.

14. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    We've done this as well, to good success.

15. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

[​IMG]
    My canvas leaks so I setup this tarp. It works great.

16. ArmyofMike

ArmyofMike New Member

May 7, 2015
    ...Where did you get that Tarp?? Awesome!

17. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Harbor freight 19'x29'.4" it lists for $89 but is always on sale for $40
    [​IMG]

18. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Years ago I moved to Portland January 1st. It rained every day without significant clearing clear through mid-February. A heavy mist does not qualify as a break in the rain, for the purposes of drying things out.

Wood-shake roofs in Portland grow moss in the winter time.

Now presumably the OP is camping mostly during the warmer seasons, but yes, in Portland you can have constant rain for months without gaps, if a "gap" is defined as sufficient time to dry out a popup.

...and it takes a lot less time than "months" to grow mildew on the canvass. A few days of constant rain at home would be enough.

19. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    *shrug*

I guess my experience in the Seattle area has been different.

I also wasn't aware that mildew would grow on the canvas if there was proper ventilation within the unit. Guess you learn something new everyday...

20. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    The Dark Side whispers in the secret places of the mind and soul. [HYC] [PUT]