Dehydrating Foods

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by nineoaks2004, Sep 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Lesson plans

Begin:

I am here to talk about something that is near and dear to my heart. Food. When paddling or hiking all day, the body needs the nourishment, especially mine.

This lecture /class is not so much to teach you how to prepare food as it is to give you ideas. Most people do not realize that almost any meal you can cook at home, you can also cook and enjoy in the outdoors. cooking in the outdoors is not a precise art and many of our mistakes turn out to be favorites.

1. This is not a do as I say do class, as with any cooking, nothing is written in stone and should be changed as needed for diets and personal preferences.

C: Different types of food for the outdoors.
    1. Fresh , short life span but excellent
    2. MRE=s some are pretty good, but the weight and packaging are a nuisance
    3. Canned, heavy and you must take the can out
    4. Freeze dried lightweight, usually tasteless and costly, small rations, needs water and some time to re-hydrate.
    5. Dehydrated will be as good as you make it, lightweight, minimal packaging, cheap to do does take some time and preparation, needs water and time to re-hydrate
    6. Instant from the grocery shelves. Medium priced, must be repackaged, need to add boiling water, check the re-hydrated amount, can be too little or too much, some is pretty good, try it at home first, the selections are getting much better.

D: Supplies
    1: dehydrator, there are several brands, I use the Excalibur but any with a fan and thermostat will do, if your oven will turn down to 130 or so degrees you can even use this..
    2: Need fruit roll up trays and screen , I use bridal veil, it is cheap and can be washed .
    3: vacuum sealer or use a zip lock bag, take a straw into the corner and suck the air out, then shut this will get most of the air out of the bag.
    4: most of the other utensils you have in the kitchen such as knives, spoons, etc.

E: Dehydrating:
    1: meats should always be done at 145 degrees.
    2: Any wild game should be placed in the freezer for a few weeks too, this gets rid of any parasites that might be hanging around.
    3: I make a lot of snack jerky out of ground meat. Soaking it first in a mixture of:

1 part soy sauce
    1 part Worcestershire sauce
    Dash Lemon juice
    1/4 part White vinegar
    I add cayenne pepper, hot sauce and any other spices that I like, on the trays. let this sit overnight and then I use the Jerky Works to put it And dehydrate until dry, and brittle.
    You can also use very lean roast, cutting all the fat away, partially freeze, then slice really thin, if you have access to a slicer, good, but a knife works well too. soak in the above sauce overnight, drain and dehydrate. This makes a real good snack for the day.

4: When dehydrating drippy things, I always use a solid liner (tin foil etc.) on an
    empty bottom try. This aids in clean up. And will prolong the life of the dehydrator.
    5: Always spray pam on the trays before putting the food on, otherwise it will stick. This makes clean up easier too.

COOKING:
    1. You do not have to carry water for cooking, use clear river water, you will boil it anyway when cooking.
    2: carry a good assortment of spices, this adds to the flavor of the food. No one likes bland food, ugly food will do, if it is spiced up.
    3. I make a lot of one pot meals...they are easier on the cook and easier on the mess cook.
    4. Re-hydrate by boiling the water, dumping the food to be re-hydrated, in and let it sit for awhile. This will save on gas and time.
    6. Stoves, any will work, but you should have one that will simmer. There are various types and models. Propane, Coleman fuel, multi-fuel, and of course the good old wood fire.
    Propane: expensive, must pack the extra weight out (empty bottle)
    Cooks great, no mess, heavy. Environmentally unsound.
    Affected by the temperature
    Small bottles can be refilled, 1-3 times. With an adapter
    Freeze the empty, turn 30 lb upside down, with adapter attached, screw empty bottle on, turn on for about 1 minute, shut off bottle, unscrew , check for leaks, use as needed.

STOVES
    Coleman fuel /multi fuel light weight, some cannot simmer, small, must carry extra fuel, some is explosive, some such as kerosene, stinks. Carry bottle separately from food. Temperature is no problem.

Open fire: cannot do in some places, smokes the pots, (rub the outside with soap for easier cleaning) affected by the weather. Free, tastes great environmentally, unsound, messes up the camp area. Fun and nice in cold weather.
    Always pack staple goods, bisquick (add water), cornmeal, butter buds, sugar, and whatever else you might like.

Packing, the main thing is you do not want your food to become re-hydrated until you are ready....pack in a waterproof container.
    (this happened to me on a 6 day trip, we had one heck of a meal that night as everything was re- hydrated we caught our own for the next few days)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018