Dexter Axle swing arm adjustment?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by cortezaero, May 12, 2018.

1. cortezaero

cortezaero New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    I have a 1996 Jayco 1006 with the original Dexter torsion axle. I've read that the angle of the swing arm can be adjusted to allow for more (or less) ride height. I believe there are 3 different settings. However, I can't find directions anywhere online on how to make this adjustment. Can anyone help?
    Thanks!

2. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    You can not find info because there are not "settings". When you order Dexter Torflex axles you specify the "start angle" which is the angle of the arm relative to the vertical axis of the axle tube. It is not adjustable other than changing mounting brackets or arrangement. At one time years ago AL-KO made a torsion axle where the arm and spindle could be pulled off the bar and repositioned for start angle, but to my knowledge Dexter has never had such a design.

Ideally the start angle should result in the arm being level and at it's center of travel when the trailer is loaded. If you could adjust the arms position to increase ride height, you most likely would run out of travel in the torsion assembly. Ride height is adjusted by spacers or other methods to move the entire axle in relation to the frame.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  3. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    To expand on what Old_Geezer has said, it's more than likely the axle has worn out, and that's why you perceive it having a "low" ride height.

I can't find my picture, but a google search quickly finds a similar shot:
    upload_2018-5-14_8-25-56.png

Like he said, it should be level.

4. cortezaero

cortezaero New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Thanks for the input! I was starting to suspect that it could not be adjusted. Good to know that it should be level when at rest. What is the life expectancy of these axles? My trailer is a 1994.

5. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009

24 years??

6. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    A clarification. It may not be a case of supposed to be level. You can get torsion axles with 45 degrees of down start angle up to 22.5 degrees of up start angle and lots of ones in between. The only people that could tell you what was used would be the original builder or Dexter. If you get the stamped number from the axle tube Dexter should be able to tell you what the start angle was. Then jack up the trailer and see if the unloaded arm returns to its original start angle. That's the first step to tell if the axle is still doing it's job.

Then take another floor jack and jack under the tire to see how far the arm travels before you start raising the trailer off the other jack. If its more than 40-45 degrees from start angle the torsion bands are shot. Have the trailer hooked up to the tow vehicle while jacking is also a good idea lol.

cortezaero likes this.