Did the dealer ruin my battery, or am I just dumb?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by mysticbus, Jan 14, 2019.

1. mysticbus

mysticbus New Member

Picked my brand new pup up on Saturday. Dealer did a walk through where they showed me how to use all the systems.
    Got it hooked to my truck and hauled it 2 hours home. When I got home I backed it into the garage and put it away.
    The next day, the wife and I went shopping and bought kitchen stuff, and towels and sheets and whatnot and then came home and rolled it out of the garage to set it up and load it.

I hit the button and it wouldn't lift. Nothing worked at all. I opened the battery box on the front and tested the battery and it had NOTHING, it wouldn't even register on my battery load tester.
    I figured something was left on, the dealer was showing me how the LED lights would turn off after you lower the kitchen, but I figured in 24 hours those lights wouldn't discharge a deep cycle battery. Then I popped off the fridge exterior door, and both switches were on, the 110v and the 12v. I guess the fridge was running on the battery.

On one hand, I feel like I should have checked it myself, on the other, we are brand new owners, and maybe the dealer should have gone over shutting down all the systems with us before we left. Either way, I have little hope of the battery recovering. It is a Deka marine deep cycle battery. I have had it on a battery tender now for about 24 hours.

2. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

It may be not ruin, just drained. Try to charge it up asap and keep watching the level to make sure everything going smoothly.

3. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

I've run car and deep marine battery's completely dead before and they still run great years later. I"m sure its not good for them and maybe they don't last as long but I haven't noticed a huge decrease in power. I am sure someone with more scientific experience may say otherwise. If it doesn't charge though, I would take back to the dealer.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Some chargers will not charge a dead battery, I usually hook the battery to my truck with jumpers for awhile to get some "juice in it" and then the charger will start charging, however if by battery tender you mean on of the tenders that only put an amp or two to keep the battery topped off that probably will not have sufficient amperage to re-charge the battery , it should be warranted and I would check with the dealer and I agree he should have taken time to completely go through all of the set up, break down and operation of everything during the walk thru. Good Luck and Happy Camping

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

As said above, yes, you can recover.

6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

If you have a 15 amp to 30 amp adaptor plug just plug in the camper and allow the converter to do it's thing for 24 hours, it will charge faster than the maintainer. If you don't have an adaptor you can pick up one in the RV section at Walmart. You can leave the maintainer connected while the camper is plugged in. When you unplug the camper leave the maintainer running or disconnect the white negative cable from the battery to avoid losing charge to parasitic draws from the camper.

7. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

+1 on SteveP's advice. Let the converter do it's work. At the end of the day, it's not a bad lesson to
    learn on day 1, especially when it's in the driveway. It's a much harder thing to come across at the
    campsite, so chalk it up to experience!

8. mysticbus

mysticbus New Member

I just ordered one on Amazon, be here in a couple days. But I just went out and bought a big Deltran battery tender, I needed a good car sized charger anyway since I gave my old one to my son.

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

turn the fridge off 12v if ON
    check that the brakes are not ON

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

By the way, I think it was the dealer who screwed up. They are notorious to forget about the battery or leaving something on. :rolleyes:. Can't tell you how many times I've came back to a dead battery after I get it back from repair. So no worries if your battery is completely dead it usually will come back after a really good charge. Although like someone stated some battery tenders may need an initial charge before it could work. Found that out myself when my battery tender wasnt cutting it.
    I decided to buy a 3 way charger. A regular charger and tender built into one.

11. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Yeah that's definitely on the dealer
    1. 110 and 12 volt fridge switches should never be turned on at the same time.
    2. They gave you no info on shutting down the camper for storage.
    It's all in the manuals, which are probably in the pup and inaccessible until you can get it open.

12. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

If you have a jump pack about 5 minutes should put enough juice in it for a charger to take over.

13. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Dealer owes you a new battery. Running to completely dead will shorten its life. Get them to give you a new one now, they won’t want to hear about it next year

14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

warranty?