Did the deed - New Axle/Springs/Hubs/Wheels = Lift

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by PNW PopUp, Jun 5, 2018.

1. PNW PopUp

PNW PopUp New Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Took the trailer out for our maiden and shakedown voyage this past weekend. Took lots of notes and discovered a lot of things we'll be doing differently. Trailer was great, heater is very good (but maybe a little noisy, I'll have a look at that). Anyways, got it home an unpacked and promptly dropped off at a friends for the work we had planned.

New, wider (68+" to 72") 3500lb axle, bigger 5 bolt hubs, 4 spring sets (previously 3) and larger 13" wheel w/ tires (from 12"). Gave us 5.5" lift with the spring over. Still need to sort out spare tire mounting. Very happy with the results minus a small vibration I am getting at around 80km/h that I need to look at as well. IMG_1810.JPG IMG_1809.JPG

megcabra, Sharkdude and Matt Benoit like this.
  2. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    Looks great. How tall are your stabs? Do you need longer ones? What about your step?

3. PNW PopUp

PNW PopUp New Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Not tall enough. For now I'll just be using some leveling blocks stacked up to make up the difference. I think I might want to add stabs to the front as well as this pop-up only had rears. So that's something I'd do all at once

As for the step, we're just using a cool little 300lb capacity folding step that I use to access my Rooftop box on the TV. I may look at replacing it with a double tread step down the road or not as I'll lose some ground clearance I just gained.

4. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    I had the same problems. We too use a folding step, we just keep it right inside the door. Our drop down stabs were horribly short. So I installed 4 (we originally only had 2 like you) new stabs from harbor freight. They reach the ground and I can use the drill to raise and lower them. I also had to purchase an adjustable ball hitch as our tongue (after the lift) was 5 inches higher. Subsequently, that also meant longer safety chains and a 4 pin harness extension.

Edit: the additional front stabs really help stiffen up the pup, especially when using the attached step wich seems to "rock" the pup when stepped on.

Sharkdude likes this.
  5. PNW PopUp

PNW PopUp New Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Harbor Freight you say? I'll have a look on their website, thanks! My hitch is good. I was able to flip mine to gain back some of the height and it tows very level. Truck will be lifted within the year so I'll likely have to flip it back.

6. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    I want to say they were about $30 each. You can use the 20% off coupons to help also. I'm unable to weld, so I used 3 self tappers on each stab (3/8in I believe).

Sharkdude likes this.
  7. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Re: The vibration, Did you have the wheels balanced?

8. Sharkdude

Sharkdude New Member

Mar 14, 2018
  9. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    Sharkdude likes this.
  10. PNW PopUp

PNW PopUp New Member

Mar 21, 2018
    No, not yet. Most things I've read say it isn't necessary (or shouldn't be) on trailer tires but those are peoples opinions. It is something I'll definitely be doing.

11. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    My 2008 Starcraft RT14 Off-Road POPUP was a tad too high off the ground as well for the provided steps for the trailer.

I got these folding steps from Camping World when they was on sale back in 2008. Pretty expensive but well worth it. Being grated these are super strong and can take a hugh stomping getting the dirt and mud off your boots before entering the trailer. When folded up they fit perfect just inside the doorway...

[​IMG]
    Google Image

I use mine with the legs folded up most of the time and works rather well for my ground floor trailer steps... To keep my steps from walking off I have them tethered to my trailer trailer frame with a locking cable...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

My 14RT OFF-ROAD trailer uses 15-inch wheels

I can do some serious boondocking way back OFF-ROAD Trails with this setup... We camp off-grid most of the time...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

12. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    You can add Ride-Rite to the tires to Ballance them and if you get a nail it will seal the hole. The stuff is freeway rated and a good liquid balancer.

PNW PopUp likes this.