Did you camp with your parents as a kid?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by sequoyausa, Apr 13, 2006.

1. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Yup, we used to camp lots when I was young. We would go tent camping with family friends, where we had to be near a motel for the other mom, because she simply refused to sleep on the ground. After one too many weekends in the rainy grossness of the Catskills, my parents got a PUP in 1984. At that point, my parents had discovered the Adirondacks (and Lake Placid, in particular), so we would spend 2 weeks in July every year there. The same site at the KOA there. My brother had pretty much "cooled out" from camping, so it was my parents and I in that small Sun Valley. Great times.

My parents are thrilled that both my brother and I are campers now. He has 5 kids, and will go out locally with his VW camper van and some tents, or rent an RV for longer trips. His oldest son really loves it. I didn't go camping for about 20 years. It wasn't until I met my partner that I got back into it again. The reason we have a PUP now is because I had my experience with my parents growing up. My partner never had anything so fabulously comfortable, and probably wouldn't have considered a PUP had I not pressured him into it. :smiley:

2. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    We both did, although in my case, us kids were out camping by ourselves much more than with the folks. With my dearest, she grew up in the boundary waters of northern MN and her dad would take her along canoe camping. Her mother wouldn't camp, period.

3. SongCamper

SongCamper Active Member

Jul 4, 2017
    Nashville
    We grew up tent camping. I love the versatility of a tent but with my son in a wheelchair I had to make a compromise. A PUP was a great decision. Keeps the dream alive!

neighbormike likes this.
  4. jifjifjif

jifjifjif New Member

Tuesday
    Tented all over the Northeast as a kid. I remember tenting in Buffalo, NY in January once without a space heater. That was one cold night.

5. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

Nov 29, 2010
    Hey! Buffalo! My home!

My coldest camping trip was -38 ambient temperature, in a snow trench, no tent. Daytime highs were -10. Spent 3 nights out in that. After getting home from that trip, I never got cold the rest of the winter. That was in the Lake Placid/Saranac area, mid '80s. Those temps were at Saranac, and we were a good 1000' feet higher in elevation, so it was actually probably even colder. I had a great sleeping bag, but it sucked putting on frozen boots in the morning. Oh yeah, my parents weren't there, so sorry for going off topic.

SongCamper likes this.
  6. SongCamper

SongCamper Active Member

Jul 4, 2017
    Nashville
    Crazy!! Now that’s cold.

7. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    Wow, that's great! Do you just attach a portable ramp by the door? Isn't the door very narrow?
    I am curious. I know the former owner of my pup had a husband with some handicap, that's why they put in a shower stall instead of kitchen to help him bathe. Other than that, I don't know. My Dad is in a chair, too.

SongCamper likes this.
  8. SongCamper

SongCamper Active Member

Jul 4, 2017
    Nashville
    He's small enough that I can carry him through the door (thankfully). We leave his wheelchair in the van. And then we have a special car seat that I mount to the bench that he sits in when we're in the PUP. It works well. He got to go all the way to Yellowstone and Glacier for 2 weeks this past summer!

JWeible likes this.
  9. BedHead

BedHead New Member

Yesterday
    Sure did! I camped with my parents (in a tent trailer) and grandparents (they had a truck camper) mostly in western Alberta and in BC. Other than during my rebellious teens, there hasn't been a summer in which I haven't gone camping since I was born.

SongCamper likes this.
  10. SongCamper

SongCamper Active Member

Jul 4, 2017
    Nashville
    Love it!

BedHead likes this.