DId you ever?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by tdiller, Aug 10, 2018.

1. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Few years back we were on our way from Chicago to Texas. We left after work on a Tuesday and got just west of St. Louis when we decided we were tired and started to look for a place to stay. We pulled off the expressway when we saw a campground billboard. It was late about 10:30PM when we pulled in and the office was closed and no one around. We decided we'd find a spot and pay in the morning. We set up and went to sleep. We woke the next morning and after coffee packed up and headed for the office. It was probably like 7:00AM and again the office was closed. I grabbed one of thier brochures and figured I'd call and make good on the fees with the credit card over the phone. I called three different times during the day and never got an answer or answering machine. After that I figured I had made an honest effort to pay and never tried to contact the campground again.

Blackripley likes this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have had this happen several times, but I usually catch up with someone to pay for my site. If not I would probably send in the money to the address from a brochure.

3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Active Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    I can't say I've ever had that happen. Once, I went to pay in the morning and the office didn't even know I'd been there.

4. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

May 20, 2016
    Coming back from the UP, early October, we stopped off at Wilderness State Park for the night. It was almost dark when we got there,set up the tent, started a fire and ate dinner. Never used any electricity or the washroom. Got up at first light, packed up, went to the office to pay, no one there, kept on going. Since we pay ahead for the state park recreational passport I didn't feel too bad about it.

5. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Jul 20, 2012
    We rarely make a trip without having reservations in place, due to having tried to go camping once when the kids were little, driving to every campground in the San Bernardino Mountains of Southern California until late that night, and ending up having to go home because all of them already being full.

That said, I think were I to find myself in a similar situation, I would send a letter if repeated attempts to reach them by phone failed. If they fail to respond to a letter, then there isn't much more I could do, and the only reasonable conclusion is that they aren't worried about the fee for that night.

6. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Ftr, most campgrounds have a system in place that if no one is in the office you’re supposed to send the money to me. If it happens again send me a DM and I’ll get you the routing info. And before you ask, yes I take tips.

7. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Columbiaville, Michigan
    A couple of friends, fellow full timers did that once, got up in the morning and found they were in a clothing optional campground. My friends wife made him pay and leave even before breakfast. Darrell wrote about it on his blog and everyone had a good laugh.

Lanternman and Rik Peery like this.
  8. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    In that case I would have hung (pun intended) around a few days until someone was there to collect! :grin:[}:)][:I]

Rik Peery likes this.
  9. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Jul 20, 2012
    "Here's a place we can stop for the night - Seymour Hiney's RV Park. Why do you suppose it's called that?"

:D

myride and Rik Peery like this.
  10. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    That sounds like plenty of effort.

I would probably have left a check under the door, not my problem if they didn't cash it!

11. lonewolf465

lonewolf465 Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Several years ago, we pulled into a gov. park about 7:30 PM. Beautiful campground. No one around. I believe a single sign stated camping was $12/night. No signs on where to make payment. No iron ranger. No staff or campground host. The only thing we found were the numbered posts with clips at each campsite. We set up camp, enjoyed supper and a comfortable night's sleep. Next morning we broke camp and made another swing thru the campground to find someone. No luck. We tried-----------------. At another gov. park, we had a campground employee wake us up at o dark thirty to tell us we hadn't paid for our site (honor system with iron ranger). I told him the sticker was on the dash as directed by the directions on the payment envelope. He said it wasn't there. I had to get up and point it out to him. He said sorry and was on his way. Both happened on the same trip. I guess things even out.

neighbormike likes this.
  12. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Sign on the door said specifically not to leave cash or check.

13. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Do you know how you can tell the new comers from the regulars at a nudist colony... It's not hard.

neighbormike and CivilizedOne like this.