Dinette cushions dont fit!

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by heagen, Jul 26, 2018.

1. heagen

heagen New Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Hi Everyone, this is my first post. :)

DH and I bought a NTU 2012 StarCraft Starflyer 10.

When we lay the dinette cushions down for the dinette bed, they don't all fit.

We are able to put the 2 bigger cushions and one smaller but the space left open is too small for the final small cushion. Any thoughts?

The upholstery is original and the camper is only 6 years old.

I feel like it is a puzzle, and I must be doing something wrong!

2. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    welcome to the portal from SE Georgia!

It's really hard to say what's going on without a picture; could you post one for us to see what's up? Are you sure these are the right cushions for your p'up?

Orchid likes this.
  3. heagen

heagen New Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Here is a photo of the inside. The cushions appear to be original as they match the stock fabric on the valances.

I do not have a photo of the gap. I can try to take one the next time the camper is open.

Attached Files:

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Welcome!

I like your first post a lot. It's kind of exciting to have something new come up. Never heard this one before! Maybe post a photo so we can see. Do you have an owners manual? If not, one might be available here in the manuals section of the forum.

5. Orchid

Maybe try using the 2 smaller cushions and 1 big one?

heagen likes this.
  6. heagen

heagen New Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Massachusetts
    We got a manual from StarCraft and it doesn't say anything about the dinette bed cushions set up. Maybe they think it is self explanatory...of course I have issues with the most basic thing :)

I found dinette set up photos online for other popups and they use all 4 but I LOVE your idea about using 2 small and 1 large. I will try that this weekend!

It will be our first trip! (we have a sons ages 6 and 3, so the dinette bed will be our little guys bed!)

Orchid likes this.
  7. Orchid

I looked up your model, via Google, and say the same exact fabric, so I'm sure you are correct about the cushions being original. There must be a way.

I wish we were camping this weekend! I hope your family has a wonderful time! Our grandsons are 9, 9, 6, and 5 and they love camping. I have to admit that everything is more fun with them along! Your boys are going to have a blast, and I'm sure you will figure their new bed out. :smiley:

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    You only have four cushions, so it can only be a couple of ways to put them. If they wont squish in try the two big ones laying front to back and the little one perpendicular to the big two.

Orchid likes this.
  9. Orchid

That's a great idea, too! The truck camper my parents had as a teen set up like that. I only remember because it was mine and my sister's bed and we had to set it up. It was a U shaped dinette and the cushions went all different directions as a bed.

10. heagen

heagen New Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Massachusetts
    I feel so silly I cant get this figured out!

I'm thinking we may just have to squish the final cushion in or leave it out completely. The gap with only 3 cushions is about 3/4 the width of the final cushion. When we squish in that cushion it makes all the others pop up. (Get it? :grin:)

It's SO STRANGE!

11. heagen

heagen New Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Massachusetts
    This 2016 Starflyer video shows the dinette set up with 4 cushions. Maybe one of my cushions needs to be shaved down a bit? That makes me feel a little better that I wasn't doing it wrong.

anyway thanks for the feedback!

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    On our Coleman, the trick was to set the back cushions between the seat cushions, almost on edge, like an "A". Then push down on the point, both cushions at the same time. That way, they wedged into place, and everything was secure.

heagen and Fless like this.
  13. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    I feel your pain. I have an email to Aliner now requesting pictures for the dinette bed set up. The Owner's Manual is useless. Our Aliner Scout dinette bed is supplied with 4 boards , 6" wide, so your total support is 24" wide. The hole we need to cover is 38" deep, so there are 14" of unsupported cushions. The last email I got said the dinette table is to be "stored" on the floor and not used for the bed setup. I think I'm 2 boards short.

Update: Just talked to Aliner. It's the way they have always done it. Just space the boards evenly. Well, I can't do that. I'll cut a piece to fill in, like common sense tells me. I can see the grand kids falling through the gap someway.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  14. pasobuff

pasobuff Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Try squishing them in...like kitphantom mentioned...I seem to remember ours were tight in our old Coleman Utah and I had to push them together....

heagen likes this.
  15. heagen

heagen New Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Hi All!
    We did our first night in the camper over the weekend and I was able to get some photos.

I ended up squishing the cushion into the small space and the cushions popped up. But once I put a sheet down and then his sleeping bag, we were all set.

Thanks again for the suggestions. We had an AWESOME time and cant wait to get out again!
    IMG_9313.jpg IMG_9316.jpg

Sjm9911, Orchid and pasobuff like this.
  16. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Keeps them nice a tight.

17. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    That’s strange.