DIY A/C Install

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Amanda Parent, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Amanda Parent

Amanda Parent New Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Hi all! I'm new to pop up portal. We have had our pup for going on 3 years now. Bought it new from Cheyenne camping center. It's a Forest River Palomino ORV-2 Basecamp 2015. We want to install an a/c unit with heat strip on it before we start camping this year. I've gotten a lot of mixed info. I have some questions. 1. How do we know if it is pre-wired for an a/c unit? 2. How do we find the roof brace? 3. Do we remove the exhaust fan ("Fantastic Fan") and place the a/c unit in it's place or cut a new hole? 4. If we cut a new hold how do we know where to put it? 5. We are looking at Dometic and Coleman units. Any recommendations?

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

I am sure there will be more posts after this that can give you specifics, but have you thought of calling Cheyenne Camping Center to pick their brains on what is needed for your install? I have an RV servicing center near me that is more than happy to answer my questions when I want to pick their brains.

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    AC units fit in a 14" x 14" hole, the same as the typical fan.

4. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    Because AC can be a dealer installed option most pups are wired at the factory for AC. If you have a 20 amp breaker in your pup you have the wiring, all you have to do is find the 20 amp receptacle.

Go back to the dealer and look at a similar model with AC installed. Follow the power cord from the AC to the receptacle, it's probably near the same place in your pup. What looks different on the ceiling than yours, does it have the same support bars under the roof? Ask to speak to the service manager for a few minutes and ask him your questions. Get a quote for an install from the dealer for reference.

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I have a 2005 palomino. There is a screw in the ceiling marking the center of the 14x14" pre-braced AC location, which is *not* where the roof vent is. When it's particularly humid/cool out you can clearly see the bracing on both the roof and inside ceiling.

Some time ago I found a video of someone doing this exact install on a Palomino (or maybe it was another Forest River brand). It was very straightforward. The hardest part was getting the AC in place on the roof, since you can't really stand or kneel on the roof while doing the work.